Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Flex plate

31 bucket

yesterday I tried to start my bucket. Think I have a fuel problem or something. Hard to start. Actually didn't start. Been having trouble starting it. Well starter started to grind. Noticed that the flex plate teeth was rounded off. I think the previous owner had issues with starting it also. So here we go. Obviously I got to change the flex plate first. Then try to figure out why it is hard to start. Thoughts?

Soon after my bucket hit the road in 2016 I had a similar issue, traced to a toasted Pertronix module in my distributor. In the process of finding the problem, I burned up my starter. If you have an issue with starter/flex plate engagement, be sure you have a match between the two. Modern starters frequently have bolt patterns for both 153 and 168 tooth flex plates. Also, be sure to check the engagement clearance (using an ordinary paper clip) between starter gear and flex plate. The other issue that might cause hard starting is improper timing. Too little initial advance could be the problem.

yesterday I tried to start my bucket. Think I have a fuel problem or something. Hard to start. Actually didn't start. Been having trouble starting it. Well starter started to grind. Noticed that the flex plate teeth was rounded off. I think the previous owner had issues with starting it also. So here we go. Obviously I got to change the flex plate first. Then try to figure out why it is hard to start. Thoughts?

Spanky made some good suggestions, . . . .

But I'd back up my troubleshooting process back to a practical beginning point. . . . . Pull the plugs, block open the throttle, pull the coil wire and do a compression test straight away, . . . . . Pull the valve covers too and watch that all the valves seem to move about the same.

A new to you engine may have all manner of gremlins just waiting to get you. . .

You need to have some reasonable idea of the relative integrity of the mechanical's condition.

Stuck or burned valves, or a bad lifter, can be a major cause of hard starting, . . . as well as significant vacuum leaks.

A compression test can often, at least lead you, towards the problem area.

If it were mine, and I emphasize that it's just my way to look at things, . . . . . I'd see what the comp test showed, and if anything wasn't what it should be, I'd start from scratch and pull the intake and put a dial indicator on each lifter and verify each lobe's lift, ( 1 or more could be wiped) & the cam timing, as a worn cam drive could have jumped time.

There's lots of ducks to be sure are all in the row before you can have confidence that the issue is resolved.

That is a very broad question. There are many possible causes for hard or no start scenarios. You just gotta go through the tuning and general troubleshooting steps: Ignition, timing, fuel, basic healthy engine stuff.

ASSUMING this is a Chevy then the clearance should be .020" - .035" as shown in
the graphic below.

upload_2020-10-11_13-2-23.png

For complete instructions for installing a starter or doing some troubleshooting, read
the attached PDF file. Obviously not everything in the 2 page article will apply to
your situation.

Attachments

• 309_PMGR_1_2kW_ChevyStarter.pdf
    341.4 KB · Views: 6
Even though rounded teeth are an indicator of a misalignment, if the engine actually turned over several times but didn't light up, I would fix that to get it out of the way, then check all the other basics first (spark, fuel, finding TDC, etc.)
At the very least, you will be able to check all those things off of the "tune up" list.

I had my starter checked out and the bendix is not fully ingaging. So hence that problem is going to be fixed. Next will do a complete basic tune.

You may be installing a new or rebuilt starter, but it's still important to take 3-4 minutes
to check the clearances.

Do you get better acceleration with your avatar going down hill ? :rolleyes:

Give this one a try.

Just right click on the pic at the bottom and select "Save Image As ...".

SaveImage.JPG

Last edited:
A lot of forum pics these days are using a newish extension which our old forums dont seem to recognise. I have had to snip the pics and save them as a jpeg to get them to load onto this site.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back