Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel Economy and Performance can both be had, but what are YOU gonna do about it?

Screaming Metal

Its now official, Nascar is even going to fuel injection. Sprint cars been running injection for some time, alot of the NHRA cars are going to make the plunge before too long. Tunnels with injection bodies on them, Victor Jr.s with the same, The ole lowly CROWER inj. system, but in electronic form, hooked to a performance computer.
Back in the old days, you could look at about 150,000 before a total motor rebuild. With fuel injection, that same motor can go 250,000 before a rebuild. Better performance while getting good gas milage. Computers are getting small, cheaper, and faster.
Some folks been sounding like they want to run stock motors in their T's Fine! You can get a FI assemble that looks exactly like your favorite Holley, OR, Crower Injector system. All you need is a laptop and the Disc to set em up.
Accel, Edelbrock, and alot of others have now seen the light, and with gas prices going to go thru the roof, how are WE, the performance folks, gonna deal with it?

I thought NASCAR would never come out of the darks ages with carbs and then retrictor plates on the superspeedways. FI would be great on the T buckets, but science needs to find a way to route the unsightly wiring looms under the manifold or conceal it in a clingon cloaking device of somekind, so we can maintain the clean simple look on top of that nostalgia nailhead.

Its now official, Nascar is even going to fuel injection. Sprint cars been running injection for some time, alot of the NHRA cars are going to make the plunge before too long. Tunnels with injection bodies on them, Victor Jr.s with the same, The ole lowly CROWER inj. system, but in electronic form, hooked to a performance computer.
Back in the old days, you could look at about 150,000 before a total motor rebuild. With fuel injection, that same motor can go 250,000 before a rebuild. Better performance while getting good gas milage. Computers are getting small, cheaper, and faster.
Some folks been sounding like they want to run stock motors in their T's Fine! You can get a FI assemble that looks exactly like your favorite Holley, OR, Crower Injector system. All you need is a laptop and the Disc to set em up.
Accel, Edelbrock, and alot of others have now seen the light, and with gas prices going to go thru the roof, how are WE, the performance folks, gonna deal with it?

I'm running an EFI blower set-up from Autotrend that uses an Accel DFI ECU. The throttle body is actually a bugcatcher that has been modified so only the middle hole lets air in.I'm currently in the process of replacing the 355 ci in SBC with a DART SHP 406 cu in SBC.

Beveled-with-Hat_Black.jpg

DSC00507.JPG

I setup a DIY EFI (Megasquirt) on a turbo 2.3l a couple years ago. Worked good. With a wideband O2 sensor it basically autotuned for the most part.

I thought NASCAR would never come out of the darks ages with carbs and then retrictor plates on the superspeedways. FI would be great on the T buckets, but science needs to find a way to route the unsightly wiring looms under the manifold or conceal it in a clingon cloaking device of somekind, so we can maintain the clean simple look on top of that nostalgia nailhead.
Check this link out, Blown Nailhead that has EFI on it, all the wires are hidden.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...build_takes_innovative_engineering_skill.aspx

I setup a DIY EFI (Megasquirt) on a turbo 2.3l a couple years ago. Worked good. With a wideband O2 sensor it basically autotuned for the most part.
Yep, I've done a few megasquirts myself. Pretty basic and they work good! I like that BugCatcher setup. Thing is, carbs are becoming obsolete on alot of applications. Most Motorcycles have EFI, alot of the large Industrial Lawn Mowing Equip. is going to it.
True, it makes things more complicated....did we do away with Windows 98 or we still running it. Emails is fast replacing the paper letters.
Once you learn how The Fuel injection works, then, worry about the electronics parts. Thats the way I learned to, and I'm a old dog at this stuff. I can tear down the mechanical FI's with my eyes closed.
The Holleys when I was young could be had new, from the speed shops, for about $150 or less. Look at them now!
Whats changed? Aluminum hasn't. Gasket material hasn't. Cost of the materials. And the fuel to get it where its going.....
I think the motors with the pro-rams look cool myself. We have to change with the times if we want out fuel economy....

I love the way the Holley Stealth units look, they need to come out with a good small ecm kit where you can add it on to the non-efi motors like the Accel pro-ram units. You can do it, now, if you feel comfortable doing such things....but alot of folks would like a total bolt-on kit.

Down here in the colonies we went through the sudden gas price rises 20 years ago. Our exchange rate corrected price here is currently US$7:00/gall. All that has done is make us use the stuff a bit more wisely and think about what we are going to do with it. We are still a nation of rodders, just that the daily driver is more likely to be a 2.0litre Japper, and the 427 comes out on sunday for a cruise and picnic. The other thing that has happened is, we have gotten pretty good at squeezing the mileage with our driving habits as well as engineering.
Carby vs. Injection?. Hmmmm. For a dumb animal, the properly tuned carburettor is a pretty damn good device for mixing air and fuel. The parts that let the carby down in the economy stakes are the accelerator pump(s) and the power valve(s). Even when well set up these devices are a crude solution at best, and how you use that right foot to kill the manifold vacuum and spray that pump squirt brings driving habits into the equation. Another forgotten economy is with the vacuum advance properly set up. A properly set up and carefully driven carb set up will turn in the mileage, most of us will tell you that.
Megasquirt is popular here, Bowling and Grippo appeal to us as a nation of DIY engineers, and we have gotten good at hiding injectors inside the two fours on a tunnel ram. Even so, if you are a leadfoot or a throttle pumper, you are going to burn more fuel, simple as that.
Speed. We love it. The faster you go, the more drag. Form Drag is the square of the speed, that faster you go, the more gas it takes to push you there. Your choice, fast and thirsty, cruisey and thrifty. (with a little burning rubber and a blast now and again, of course :) )

Check this link out, Blown Nailhead that has EFI on it, all the wires are hidden.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...build_takes_innovative_engineering_skill.aspx
In the voice of Arnold Horseshack "OOOH OOOH".
Man the is a kick @ss setup all complete with a whipple charger. You know how it is when you see something for the first time-- you get a first impression of yea or nay,, this is a hell yea, that ontop of a Tbucket hits a home run in my book. Thanks for posting, I can now dream well tonight.

I've put a Powerjection 3 on my blown 4.6 DOHC FORD. With a carb I was getting 16-19 mpg. With the EFI set up I'm looking for 25+ mpg. Lots of tinkering and a lap top in da bucket to come. This unit is self contained and is there third one out. I wanted them to work out all the bugs before a novice like me bought one. Everything is on and in the unit mounted on the blower. Looks like a carb, but is EFI. 4 wires and 2 fuel lines. Just SUPER teck help. Pictures on self built blower manifold post. Speedway sells them around 1700.00 complete ket polished. weelstang

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back