Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel leak question

San Diego T

My wife says she can smell a strong odor of fuel vapors coming from the gas tank area of my bucket. I am not able to smell it. I have a vent tube and a aircraft style fuel cap. I have steel and steel braided gas lines. Iam not able to locate any leaks. Any ideas. If I can't fix the problem I may have to get hid of my wife. Just kidding.

Believe it or not, some flexible braided lines can leak vapors without actually leaking fuel, it is quite a common malady.

I get it sometimes, but it soon goes away. I like to park outside before pulling into an enclosed place.

You can always get some of that scented additive that makes your fuel have a aroma other than gasoline. I like rootbeer myself....I put some in a Altered at Cacklefest, and everyone was bitchin because they were getting hungry for something from the A&W....
You could change to alky, and have some ice, vermouth and olives handy....just a thought.

This had me wondering last night, so I went looking for solutions.

It seems that motorcycles have small canister type vapor canisters, about the size of a pop can. Might be something to look into if the fumes really bug your other half.

And on ebay they are about $10!

What Keeper said! Also, as things get hot this summer, might need to park her so the fuel tank won't be heated by the sun. All cars, have fumes, from time to time, nature of the beast. Ventilation in the key.

I see this is an older thread but since I have now revived my car and started it, I am getting pretty bad fumes in the garage. It's a 327 with a Holley 3310-10 carb, rebuilt 4 weeks ago, the engine is timed, gets great vacuum,, Idles nicely. The entire fuel piping system is new as of 4 weeks ago. Have a custom Aluminum 13 gallon tank. Gravity fed Holley 12-428 pump, straight to a Holley 12-803BP regulator, from there to the carb, and the regulator has a return line back to the tank. The tank has a top vent with a roll over check ball in it. Hoses and connections are all new, No leaks of any kind. starts right up, , I have pulled the fuel cut off I have under the tank and let it run for a minute before turning it off just to burn some of the fuel in the carb and it seems to help a wee bit. The smell isn't coming from the back, it's from the front all around the carb and manifold.. I came across this thread looking to see if getting a Charcoal canister ( A Small one if Poss) and running a hose from the underside of the air cleaner to it or something.... Anyone have any ideas? The Garage is air conditioned and even so I open the garage door in the morning to vent the place for 30 minutes a few times a day.... Thanks for the long read. Ozzie

This might work. Not too big and only has 2 ports.

HARLEY DAVIDSON CARBON CANISTER. PART # 27042-84A

can.jpg

Agree with Spanky, will add to check the annular boosters and, or, accelerator pump squirters after the car has shut off. If they are wet, you may have a float level issue or possible fuel pressure due to venting or heat. Of course the obvious possible causes such as bowl and metering plate gaskets, accelerator pump diaphragm and gasket, crossover fuel feed tube o rings, float level adjustment gaskets, fuel level plug gaskets, etc. Good luck!

I just bought a Model A Ford. When I bought it the carb would leak gas. The previous owner used to put a coffee can under the car to catch the leaking gas. I have had the carb apart 3 different times now. Can’t find the leak. I’ve replaced all the gaskets and seals. Still leaks a bit I found the easiest way to solve the problem. Henry Ford put a shutoff valve in line from the gas tank to the carb. Before I shut it off I close the gas valve and run it until it dies from no gas.
Problem solved. Temporarily! Until I figure out where the gas is leaking from!

When I first got my car running I had the same issue. What I found was a factory flaw in the needle seat which allowed gas to leak by dumping gas into the manifold and yes it can make the garage smell. Even brand new parts can be bad. I also had a secondary problem with the fuel percolating when the car was shut off. I put a 1" plastic spacer underneath it and all is good now.

I’m getting frustrated about the gas leak.
I tested the sealing of the needle and seat by blowing in the gas inlet. It seems to seal tightly. I’m beginning to think there might be a crack somewhere. It’s a very simple carb. Not many parts to it.

That sometimes happens when you make up a braided fuel line and forget to blow the debris out of the line before you hook it up. A little piece of rubber gets stuck between the needle and seat and creates a slight leak. On my 2 barrel Demons, having the float level too high can cause the same thing.

I put saran wrap over my air cleaner and gas cap. Keeps junk out like moisture and keeps fumes in, its not a total seal if there's pressure it will let it equalize.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back