Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel pressure regulator

LarryH

I'm thinking about putting a fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge on my T-Bucket (1973 to 1985 GM crate engine rated at 260 hp. Edelbrock Performer intake, 600 cfm Performer carb and Holley electric fuel pump. Not sure what the flow rate is on it). How close to the carb does it need to be mounted? That just seems like a lot of extra stuff to hang onto the engine.

If you have a carb ready fuel pump, don't need the regulator. Also, some electric fuel pumps can be be pressure adjusted by changing a spring in the pump body. You need 5 - 7 psi for a carbed engine.

I'm thinking about putting a fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge on my T-Bucket (1973 to 1985 GM crate engine rated at 260 hp. Edelbrock Performer intake, 600 cfm Performer carb and Holley electric fuel pump. Not sure what the flow rate is on it). How close to the carb does it need to be mounted? That just seems like a lot of extra stuff to hang onto the engine.

Which Holley is it? Red or Blue? If it's the Red Pump it's set at 7PSI and the Edelbrock 600 Carb only needs 4.5 PSI. I'd mount the regulator as close to the carb as you can.

If you have a carb ready fuel pump, don't need the regulator.
It's absolute statements like this that can cause confusion when trying to trouble-shoot.

I can truthfully say a 300 horsepower engine, when properly tuned, requires 150 pounds of gasoline per hour. Which is entirely true. If you can get Brake Specific numbers at approximately .40, that motor is going to use that much gasoline.

Let's just use the old 'a pint's a pound, the world around' method for a rough calculation and we see that comes to approximately 18.75 gallons of gasoline an hour. How many of you are consuming fuel at that rate? Anyone?

Are you confused yet? How many of you operate your 300 HP motors at maximum power output for one hour?

I do not have a mechanical fuel pump on the shelf that does not require a pressure regulator. So now, we need a definition for what a 'carb-ready' fuel pump is. After we define that, then we need to determine where the needle and seat fit into the equation, because they are certainly not created equal.

An engine utilizing a carburetor can run just fine with fuel being delivered via gravity and nothing else. If you can gravity-feed 150 pounds of gasoline an hour to a 300 HP engine, the engine will run just fine. And you know what? :) The carburetor and engine will never know how the fuel got there. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

If you needed a pump then them old 40hp Model Ts & As would never have run...........sure they was low power but gravity did all the work to get gas to the engine............

Mike

are you using a two line system with your electric fuel pump? if so a simple bypass valve works well to bleed off presure to fit your needs. If you have a single line system then the regulator below is inexpensive and works well. place it anyware you like on the engine side of the pump. I personally don't like to have a permanent guage, due to the leak potential, but that's just me.

Russ
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803/

Carb ready fuel pumps are the ones that came on cars that had carburators without pressure regulators. Just about 100% of cars before fuel injection became the standard. Electric pumps limited to 7 psi output pressure should not need a regulator for a stock carburator.

If you needed a pump then them old 40hp Model Ts & As would never have run...........sure they was low power but gravity did all the work to get gas to the engine............

Mike

I still remember my dad talking about the model T and how if you went up steep hill it would quit running. They had to back up those steep hills. LOL Can't imagine having to do that now days.

Anywhere between the pump and carb. You can get the inline models also. Don't need a whole lot just need your pressure to be steady....I believe all the guys here, the consensus is you need a regulator, set it low and slowly turn it up. Try what Putz and Mike said.

what was it that putz said again??? :foottap:

Russ

OOOOPPS....heehee.... :jester: :hoist: ....wrong thread....minds reeling from the alchol :spank: vapors

Sometimes, I'm just plain goofy :wacky: ....

OK NorthStar, I washed my face, grabbed a donut, got a cup of coffee....I'm normal agian. You gotta love these Alky motors, the vapors are cruel.....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back