Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas pedal ratio

Mines 1:1 , didn't have enough vertical space for much else! It's a little touchy but very drivable IMHO. dave

The arm off my spoon pedal is 5''long and the arm on the carb is 1 1/4". The spoon arm is close to 6" long. It works excellently.

Jim

The travel of the throttle cable at the carb is 1-1/4". If I want about 2-1/2" of travel at the pedal I would need a 2:1 ratio in the pedal assembly. If the pedal is 6" from the pivot then I would need to connect the cable 3" up the arm from the pivot. If I wanted a 1.5:1 ration, the the cable would be connected [6/1.5=4] 4" up from the pivot. My truck has about 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 inches of pedal travel and I like that amount.

I've always found that the more difficult things are the better I like them, therefore I built a cam shaped throttle control for mine, similar to what is used on all new OEM engines these days. it's operated by a cable that lays in a groove in the outer edge and as it spooles off the cam the ratio increases. this way the lower opening are very forgiving and anything past 2/3 open it goes to full real quick :hey: .

299479833.jpg

Russ

I've always found that the more difficult things are the better I like them, therefore I built a cam shaped throttle control for mine, similar to what is used on all new OEM engines these days. it's operated by a cable that lays in a groove in the outer edge and as it spooles off the cam the ratio increases. this way the lower opening are very forgiving and anything past 2/3 open it goes to full real quick :hey: .
Hey, another masochist! I tend to over-engineer things too. Your throttle sounds much like the old Nautilus workout machines.

Up is O mph and all the way down is FAST/WOT. I would think the throttle RETURN SPRINGS would suffice in making up the ratio as to most carbs and throttle levers are standard. JMTCW and not trying to be an A@@@@@@

I don’t see what the spring has to do with the ratio. But I also can’t see what the ratio has to do with anything. Is it that critical that the carb goes to WOT in a split second?

Re-read the last post. Springs have nothing to do with ratio, but carbs and pedals already have a set ratio by the arm attached to the throttle shaft. Only Furrin' cars had the cam system and Weber s until EFI came into existence if I recall.

All carbs up to that point had the throttle shaft with the arm (long or short) that had the cable attach to it preferably in a straight line. Light springs made it easy to do with the factory pedal ratios with it being short below the pivot and long above it.and double springs used in all Factory made cars just in case one of the two broke and it would still go back to closed instead of WOT.

Look at a Holly carb and a Quadrajet and you will see what I'm saying. Also look a RPM's pedals and see.

Yea, I remember having one stuck wide open due to a broken spring... and shutting it off kills the power assist, fun either way.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back