Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauge Trouble

Johnny

I am using an Autometer Tach/Speedo combination gauge. Chevy 350 with HEI distributor. I did the calculation like it says to do and get the .5 reading on tripmeter. Start engine and no reading. Just checking to see if anyone else has had an issue with this gauge before I start messing with wiring.
Thanks,
Johnny

Well, I don't know! Checked the wire to distributor. Good. Checked ground wire to gauge. Good. Tach pegs out as soon as engine starts. Stays there. I'm starting to think it's the gauge. Anyone ever had to deal with Autometer? Guess I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can help.
I guess there is always something that can go bad when you're building these toys for big boys.

Make sure you don't have the tach wires backwards. That is one way to peg it. If you have an MSD box the tach wire goes to it, not to the distributor.

Which gauge do you have? The combo ones I see on the Autometer site need to be calibrated. Might be the issue?
Yeah, it is the combo gauge. I did what the instructions said to do. I don't really think the gauge did like it was suppose to do, but I did get the .5 reading on tripmeter. Start engine tach pegs out! I am going to call Autometer and see if I'm doing the calibration incorrectly. I hope that's what it is. I hate to have to send it in to be fixed.

Well, I started a google search on this deal and finally found a better explanation on calibrating the tach circuit of the combo gauge. Just went out to the car and calibrated and WAAAA HOOOOOOO!!! It works!
Now, I've got to tie all the wires back together and make it neat under the dash again.
Fun Fun Fun!!
Thanks for the support, guys

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back