Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

generator post problem

olblu

I was tightening the nut on the post (wire connection) on my generator and I think for some reason I overtightened it. I don't know how as I was using a nut driver and little torque. The nut is snug now but if I try to go tighter it sort of slips past and seems like I could tighten it forever. I do not think its the threads as the nut has not been off in years but I will try a couple of washers on the post to raise the nut to a cleaner thread.
If that does not solve my problem can this post be repaired?

If it is like a gm alternator the nut on the inside holds the stud tight against the housing.Hope this helps
DR-CS121.jpg

Mosts alternators have repair parts available, the posts can be replaced. But not all alternators can be serviced by the average garage mechanic, if its a delco your in luck.

This is a generator probably a Delco as its on a Chevy. The post in question is I believe wired to one of the armatures inside. There is a nut on the housing which is tight against it but the threaded post seems to be slipping as I tighten the second nut which holds the wire connector in place. I guess I'll have to pull it off.

I ended up pulling out the gen and found that for some reason the new nut I had put on that post was the next size larger. Hence the slippage. I also have a chirping sound coming from the rear of the case when I rotate the shaft. I had noticed an odd sound coming from the engine compartment which I figured was either a water pump or generator bearings. Is it a big job to change the bearings?

I ended up pulling out the gen and found that for some reason the new nut I had put on that post was the next size larger. Hence the slippage. I also have a chirping sound coming from the rear of the case when I rotate the shaft. I had noticed an odd sound coming from the engine compartment which I figured was either a water pump or generator bearings. Is it a big job to change the bearings?
The chirping noise may just be the brushes on the commutator.
THe stud you are talking about sounds like the field connection, which is the power connection. The armature is the rotating bit and the commutator switches excitation from the brushes to the appropriate rotating coil in the armature to induce direct current in the field windings.
Bearing wise a lot of generators have bushes since they were not driven very fast way back when. Replacing bushes is not easy, getting new ones may well be harder though.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back