Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

going to put a step

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm working on a idea to put a step on the side of my car.
I've looked at other treads and googled for some ideas on what to use as a pad. I think I'm good there.
I was trying to figer out a way to hide the step or make it not as noticeable. But then figured why.
If it's a usable and necessary item of the car might as well make it look good and functional.
Maybe people wouldn't try and use the exhaust then. (hopefully)

What I need to know is. What steel should I get to put my pad on to support a person?
My body is channeled over the frame. This will have to come off the bottem of the frame.
I figued I could make a U shape out of some square tube or flat bar. Gauge/thickness is where I get lost.

Going to use this pad I think.

91109801_L.jpg

Look at brake/clutch pedal pads in the "help" section of any auto store. Weld a step mount that will support 250-300 lbs. Paint it flat black and it will practically disappear.

I've often considered the same thing but in the end it's much easier to mount and dismount by just stepping on the rear tire.

Here is my wife using the step I just made for her. Lead with the left foot..........I used 1 inch Alum for the bracket and .25 inch material for the step but just about anything will work........I mounted them off of the radius rods........My radius rods are solid 7/8 inch.........

Mike

Mike, it's nice to see a step that's actually useful. The steps on mine are only good for getting onto the back tire, then into the bucket. They'll be unusable after I install fenders and a top. I was thinking about eventually installing a larger step on the existing pad, but your video has changed my mind. I realize now they need to be positioned farther back on the frame. Would it be possible to post a closeup of the mounting method you used?

p628169494-3.jpg

Chris, here's another idea for the step itself (on a bucket I almost bought). A buddy has informed me that these are commercially available, made for pickup trucks. It was installed only on the passenger side.

p274649951.jpg

Jack

Thanks for the pic! I see now that yours is an extended body. The rear RR attaches to the frame much farther back than mine. My step is in the same location as yours relative to the RR mount, but that places it near the front of the door outline. In that location, if I put my left foot on the step, my right foot smacks the windshield frame or mirror. Maybe a bracket like the one you built could be used to mount the step farther back from the RR heim. I don't care if it bounces when I'm driving. Is there any risk to twisting the RRs when a person gets on the step? It wouldn't normally have that type of force applied.

Jack

Thank you for the pics. I have to weld my to the frame. Only have one radius rod with a jag rear.
Should I use 14 gauge square bar or round tube? Or would flat bar be OK. Maybe 1"x1/2"

I'll try and mock something up tonight and get a pic.

I made mine out of 2x3x0.120 tubing to mount to the frame, then 1x3x0.120 to make the mount. On that I used 1/8" plate to make a mount for the aluminum plate. The notch on the bottom is to clear the radius arm.

I'm a big guy and I didn't want to worry about it bending so it is probably heavier than needed.

I find I use it all the time to get in but not so much getting out.

I used the step mount to make a hanger for my exhaust as well.

If you have a support between the top & bottom of the RR I don't think you have any problem under 300 lbs on the step. They will also act as that brace between top & bottom.....I weigh 255 and I do not feel it move much at all....The wife at 120 lbs no problem......I don't use the one on the driver side because I still can step over the side..........They don't bounce and I don't use them for muffler mounts.

Mike

I made mine out of 2x3x0.120 tubing to mount to the frame, then 1x3x0.120 to make the mount. On that I used 1/8" plate to make a mount for the aluminum plate. The notch on the bottom is to clear the radius arm.

I'm a big guy and I didn't want to worry about it bending so it is probably heavier than needed.

I used the step mount to make a hanger for my exhaust as well.

Thats what I'm looking for. Thank you.
Going to buy the steel now. :)

Did you do the step on both sides?

I sure did. I added the steps more for other people than myself. I step over and my wife at 5'3" gets in fine without them. Strangers that don't know how to get in is pretty comical however. I really needed an exhaust hanger so I put 2 and 2 together.

I used 1/2" crs round bar welded to a plate that's bolted to the same bolts that hold my rear crossmember , angled up & over my rear radius rods , extended out about 6", I weigh about 190 & it's never bent ... put on a pedal pad I had lying around for the step..
dave

I have much better templates than this, LOL, but this is what I could find without tearing half the house apart.

There will be 2 of them. One will not have the drop, or as much drop so that the step will be level or mostly level with the ground. My T has a fair amount of rake, so the different heights will be needed to level it out. The U shape will be welded onto the frame, but I'm thinking I'll cut the U off and reshape the bottom for 2 bolt holes. 2 extensions with a welded top plate will bolt to the bottom of the 2 U pieces for ease of maintenance/modification/transport of bare frame, etc. The aluminum step plate will attach to the welded top plate. All made out of 3/8" steel should keep even the non-diet Coke drinkers from tearing anything up. My "official" template pieces have been checked against the frame, body and swinging arc of the radius rods for clearance. The skinny par of the U will actually be a little wider than shown, and the rear one will be wider than the front as it follows the body contour. Basically it'll follow the body drop on that side.

Last edited:
I like that template, kinda like some I make..........I would have done some thing very similar but my car sits on a tube frame and I would have had to done something a bit different...What ever it takes to be safe when you step on it and it don't hit the RRs will work..

Mike

I would make one beefy one and put it in the center to hide it better. This would alsi make it much easier to make your pad level. But that is just me.

All most got my steps made up.
But, Now it's where to attach it in relation to how someone will get in.
Should it go to the middle of where the door would be. So when someone climbs in their left leg would have to be first and they would face the windshield, then sit?
Or should it go just behind the door(about the middle of the body). So when someone climbs in their right leg would have to be first and they would face the seat, turn around, and sit?

We just open the door on the passengers side and get in. No, seriously I have thought of putting some on mine to protect the exhaust ,always afraid someone is going to use the exhaust for a step..

Question about the 1/8 plate they you mounted your step to. How far out did you come with the 1x3 underneath it? Halfway or more, less?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back