Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Has anyone built Youngster's frame width of 23"?

all-world1

After I built Youngster's frame as per his plan, I put my project on hold for several years. Now it's time to get back to it. I've got some questions for anyone who fit a SBC within the 20" inner width.
Craig

I heard that it's almost impossible to get a mechanical fuel pump in there if that's your question. I believe, if I remember right, people used a Carter fuel pump. I don't know the model #

My Spirit frame is 22.5" inside to inside, and it looks like you could fit a SB Chevy in 20", but definitely no mechanical fuel pump, and I'm not sure about the oil filter situation either.

His frame plan says it's set up for a SBC, and if I remember correctly, he mounts the motor 1.5" higher and uses an electric fuel pump.
I'm almost tempted to cut and widen the frame (yup, almost starting from scratch) but I already made my frame cuts in the body.

Thats reassuring. Is your frame 20" front to back and if not, what is the opening at mid-motor? And what are you using for motor mounts. Thanks for the pic.

Same 20" all the way along. If you look you can seen that the engine is clean of the normal add ons, which have been placed elsewhere. Mounts are home made.

trans in after build (2) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

trans in after build 2 (50) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Pleasure.
But ground clearance is 'minimal' around 4" at the sump, which has been sectioned and 'bottom ended' with a 3mm thick steel base.

Also found a pic of the mount.

sump base (1) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

mount.JPG

Here you go. Or did you mean the alternator ones?
One of each. I used poly mount in the tube.

engine mount.JPG

unfinished mount.JPG

Here's one for a 9", 8" similar?
iu

The only negative I can see to this arrangement is there will be no charging while you are
stopped. In a traffic jam this could become a problem, especially if you have an electric
radiator fan. Since I have a small PC-680 battery, this would potentially be a problem for me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back