Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Here we go....

Track-T

Pc's are soon gonna cost us more to operate.....
This just off of Yahoo news...
On Thursday, Time Warner Cable will begin testing a new pricing plan that caps bandwidth usage. Kevin Leddy, Time Warner Cable's executive vice president, said the plan will be launched as a trial in Beaumont, Texas, and will consist of several tiers. The first tier, at $29.95 monthly, will be a relatively slow 768 kilobits per second with a 5GB monthly cap, while a plan at $54.90 per month will offer 15 megabits per second and a 40GB cap.

Both downloads and uploads count toward the monthly total. Overages will be charged at $1 a gigabyte.

Not FOR the internet,But to USE the net.
They are talking a useage fee on top of your hookup...

DSL won't help.....Charging everytime you log on the net in any way.

DSL and dial-up only bring it to your home, the provider that you use from
there(yahoo/foxfire etc.) will be the one charging..

dsl is offered by your phone company, i use at&t, have since 02... they dont charge a usage fee.. i have a flat rate per month /unlimited usage..

if at&t institutes a usage cap i'll turn my computer off and my phone off and my satellite tv, which all are from at&t, and say screw them.. they're making a killing off of of internet services anyways..

i dont see the phone company doing that anyways, theyre setting up super broadband connections all over the country. i'm talking 25mb per second connections and faster, and theyre testing instant digital movie downloads.. the cable companies are having a hard time keeping up with the phone companies last i checked, the phone companies were putting alot of money into research and structural upgrades, fibre optics across the entire country pretty much.

i hear new subdivisions being built and getting upwards of 100mb per second connections, being able to download full length feature films in under 3 minutes. some kind of new xdsl conection or something of the sort..

if a software company such as microsoft, or firefox want to try to charge a usage fee, i'll reboot to my ubuntu/linux install, its all open source, that means free for public use..

Brucer said:
dsl is offered by your phone company, i use at&t, have since 02... they dont charge a usage fee.. i have a flat rate per month /unlimited usage..

if at&t institutes a usage cap i'll turn my computer off and my phone off and my satellite tv, which all are from at&t, and say screw them.. they're making a killing off of of internet services anyways..

i dont see the phone company doing that anyways, theyre setting up super broadband connections all over the country. i'm talking 25mb per second connections and faster, and theyre testing instant digital movie downloads.. the cable companies are having a hard time keeping up with the phone companies last i checked, the phone companies were putting alot of money into research and structural upgrades, fibre optics across the entire country pretty much.

i hear new subdivisions being built and getting upwards of 100mb per second connections, being able to download full length feature films in under 3 minutes. some kind of new xdsl conection or something of the sort..

if a software company such as microsoft, or firefox want to try to charge a usage fee, i'll reboot to my ubuntu/linux install, its all open source, that means free for public use..

Actually there are few companies that will run fiber right to your door now. (Cogeco started this about 10 years ago) Usually starts at 10mb and with a flip of a switch (and a lot more cash) can bump you up to around 1gig a sec. Its pretty damn amazing what they can do.

I cannot see an operating system trying to charge for internet usage, they would see a mass switch to open source and would go bankrupt.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back