Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

hey hey/

TrueBlue

Hey all, I'm new to the board. Like most of you I'm sure, have grown up around cars my whole life. Myself and my dad have been talking about building a car for about 20 years, and we just never got around to getting going, wether it be money or time, we just couldn't get it together. lol
Well, my pops is now in his mid 70's were about to jump in head first. Pretty sentimental project, hoping it will be a family build along with my kids. Anywho, we're putting together our list and game plan and hope to start picking up parts in the coming weeks. Ive got the vision in my head, just trying to piece through how to achieve the actual look I want. Topics in here are a huge help! hope be able to contribute some in the future myself.

Glad to have you, TrueBlue. Fabrication skills are a definite plus for your build, but not essential. I built mine as a shade tree mechanic with a lot of help from a couple of friends, including rebuilding a "junk yard" motor. Most will tell you that unless you have some unusual requirements for your frame, it's better and more economical in the long run to buy one pre-fabbed from one of our sponsors (RPM, CCR, Spirit Cars). That said, it also would make sense to buy the body from the same vendor to be sure everything fits. Regardless, what can you tell us of the plans in your head?

2 body2.jpg 4 engine block.jpg

Glad to have you, TrueBlue. Fabrication skills are a definite plus for your build, but not essential. I built mine as a shade tree mechanic with a lot of help from a couple of friends, including rebuilding a "junk yard" motor. Most will tell you that unless you have some unusual requirements for your frame, it's better and more economical in the long run to buy one pre-fabbed from one of our sponsors (RPM, CCR, Spirit Cars). That said, it also would make sense to buy the body from the same vendor to be sure everything fits. Regardless, what can you tell us of the plans in your head?

View attachment 18957 View attachment 18958

We're doing a traditional hot rod style, no bed, rear leaf spring suspension, I beam up front. Also doing an early Cadillac motor, which will most likely end up being a 390, dressed out with Offenhauser intake and 3 deuces. My initial worry is getting a frame that will accommodate the 390 and allow me to not cut into the firewall as much and still keep as much interior space available. Ive noticed some companies even make an extended frame, and body. I haven't looked at RPM, CCR yet...been mainly going back and forth between spirit and Speedway.

I have two frames that are custom sizes from CCR and I would also recommend them, but all the sponsors here are equally capable.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back