Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How to dispose of your bucket?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Someday I will die. I don't want my wife to have to deal with the bucket. What are ways to handle the disposition of my bucket? Sell it, of course; eBay, GoodGuys, Hemmings. Auction it: Mecum, others? Donate it to a car museum; maybe Speedway or Peterson, I don't know if they are considered charitable for tax purposes. List it on tbucketeer and other bucket and hot rod sites. I'd like it to go to someone who would appreciate it and take care of it. I might give it to Jay Leno. Is there such a thing as a T bucket museum or collection?
If I go suddenly I should designate someone to handle the disposition. Another bucket or hot rod guy. Someone who knows the value and how to move it on.
Any ideas/thoughts?

Ideally I can make arrangements now and have details for the executor. A donation would be best, so no one has to deal with selling it. The Peterson does take donated cars and is a charitable organization for tax purposes. I've asked them if they would take the bucket and am waiting for their response. It would be a good place since most of the CA folks haven't seen anything quite like it.

There are lots of automobile donation agencies. Here's one that specializes in collectibles, but there are many others. You can pick your favorite charitable cause and there is probably a way to donate a car to that cause.
Since your car is unique, there are probably several museums that would be interested. Volo in Illinois, Forney in Denver, or The Model T museum in Indiana all come to mind as being relatively close to Minnesota but I'm sure there are others.

I was just thinking about that. Been dealing with my late brother in laws estate, my step fathers, and down sizing, relocating my mom and selling her house to clear all debts and provide for living expenses... what a major pita! I have tons of stuff, cars, bikes, tools, etc... don't want to burden my wife or kids but don’t want it to go for a song either... tough one! I’m going to start by downsizing and inventory with values and go from there.

Yeah, we have a Jaguar and a Karmann Ghia, but those can be Blue Booked, aren't worth a ton anyway, and I have some hot rod friends here that could help. And I'm gonna leave instructions for my hot rod friends to come take any tools and parts they want, so my wife doesn't have to deal with all that crap (she would just toss it all). That's assuming that there are any of them left after I go!

Yeah, we have a Jaguar and a Karmann Ghia, but those can be Blue Booked, aren't worth a ton anyway, and I have some hot rod friends here that could help. And I'm gonna leave instructions for my hot rod friends to come take any tools and parts they want, so my wife doesn't have to deal with all that crap (she would just toss it all). That's assuming that there are any of them left after I go!
Is the Jag for sale? If so, what is it?

View attachment 22151

Hope your health is still good enough to still enjoy life.
Thanks, T-Test. I'm not bad sick, but I see friends and family dying, and at 77 I have low energy and the usual geezer problems. So I figure it's time to get my affairs in order. Most things are not hard, but the bucket is a unique situation. And winter up here is a real bummer. Dark, cold, no cruising. So my mind wanders to things we don't like to think about.

Thanks, T-Test. I'm not bad sick, but I see friends and family dying, and at 77 I have low energy and the usual geezer problems. So my mind wanders to things we don't like to think about.

I have been seeing people die since I was 5 yrs old.

Good/bad/ugly-- we all die some day. I talk about it and say it a lot but I will not go easy for every day above ground is a good day and the only thing that will ruin is to die.

Don't think about it and hope you die in your sleep-- no pain-- no worries and others will take care of your things that you will no longer need.

The thing we've all managed to forget to mention is the first conversation should be with your wife. Most of us would never ask our loved ones to liquidate the things they care about before they die for our convenience, we will just worry about it when the time comes.

Having a will (especially for any items with real value) and talking to her about your wishes is important, but you shouldn't feel obligated to die with every affair already neatly wrapped up.

I personally could care less how much junk I have to clean out of my dad's garage when he goes...if his toys were bringing him joy until the end, then I'll worry about disposition later.

I have recently had the same thoughts regarding selling our bucket after my death. I am 78, in fair health, but starting to slow down. I am not concerned about my wife being able to arrange to get rid of my tools and other stuff. We have a will, but assuming I die first (most likely because women live longer and she is 5 years younger) she will have to sell the bucket. I don't have anyone in my family who would be interested in having the car. Our bucket is nowhere near as good as many others I have seen, so it would not have a high sale value. The best idea I have been able to come up with would be for her to list it for sale on this site and NTBA with an explanation of her circumstances and hope a buckethead would give her some advice regarding value. Any suggestions?

We're in same place, Bama. I'm 77 with bad kidneys and my wife is 6 yrs younger. Statistically she will live at least 10 years after I croak. I'm trying now to see if any museum would want it, like the Peterson or the Speedway; a donation could be arranged for after I shuffle off or get too bad to drive it. eBay and GoodGuys are other places to sell it. Do you have any hot rod friends who could help her? I'm making a list of my friends she can trust. I have this book to record all info for both of us. And have put all cars in both names, as well as the house and all accounts, so there is nothing to probate. Still doing a will to give a few gifts to family members, and wife and I are executors for each other, and my younger brother, 60, is backup executor in case we go together. What have I missed?

I don't think you missed anything, but I am not an attorney and I suggest you consult with one. An attorney once told me that if there is no will, probate decides where remaining assets go if there is no surviving spouse. I don't have any hot rod friends that could help and other friends and relatives don't know anything about Tbuckets. Your car is obviously very high value that should be established by a person knowledgeable about these cars so she would get a fair price. I discussed this with my wife after my post today and gave her my estimate of price range, with the advice to just sell the car for what she can get. Our car, accounts and house are in joint ownership, we both have a power of attorney, and a backup executor who is a good friend as well as an attorney. I'm glad you started this topic - hope it generates some ideas for bucketheads of all ages.

Yeah, most of us are geezers or close to it. I did have an attorney, my cousin, but he died last year at 70. No known problems, they just found him in bed with the TV still on. Made me think of how sudden things can change.
I think all of us here would help your wife. Show her how to post on us. We can advise on price and how best to sell it. One of us might even buy it.

Yes at 77 I start thinking what to do with all this stuff.......Lou, I didn't think you were that old but I guess we are all getting up there in age. The best thing I have come up with is let the two boys do something with it and just support thier Mom......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back