Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

HTML5 ???

one finger john

This is probably just a case of I need to get an updated computer. I have a Mac PC, Digital Audio, 1.47 GHz Power PC, Memory 1.5 GB SDRAM, Safari Leopard 10.5.8. I am having a problem playing any video (YOUTUBE, Live Leak, Etc.)
I go to, say, YOUTUBE and click on a video and it says "Adobe Flash Player required". I have disabled Adobe Flash as per your recommendation. No luck.
I go to FireFox and I am told to try HTMl5. Get a white screen with audio, but not pictures.
I realize that everything as far as fixes are for Intel machines, but is there any way way to get this fixed without the expenditure for a new computer?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

John, there is no need to disable Flash. Although Steve Jobs is whirling about in his long house, at the thought of you running on an iMac. ;) One of the jokes when he passed away was he couldn't even hope to have his entire life flash before his eyes, because Apple doesn't use Flash.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the alert I posted about disabling Java, a couple days back? I cannot stress how important this is to people, but running Flash is not a problem. For anyone other than Steve Jobs, that is. :roflmao:

By all means, re-enable Flash and use it. I do recommend you are using the latest version, which is Flash 11.

HTML5 is still in development and in spite of all the hype you hear about it, I'll wager HTML5 will be ready for prime time in another 5 - 7 years. Yes, certain modules are already in the wild and browser coders are trying to cover their bases with new browser releases. I'm running Firefox 14.0.1 on this Linux machine and the HTML5 Test brings me in at 345 points, plus 9 bonus points, out of a possible 500. This browser renders all the sites I typically visit with zero problems.

By comparison, the Linux machine right behind me is running Firefox 15.0 and only scores 331, plus 9 bonus points. <shrug> HTML5 has a l-o-n-g way to go before it becomes the be-all and end-all of the Web.

A third Linux machine is running the Nightly builds of Firefox 18,0 Alpha 1 and it scores 388, plus 9 bonus points. So that tells me that Firefox is set for some big improvements in the way it renders HTML5 code, in another 18 weeks.

As for your computer being outdated, I've a PC with a 1.86 GHz Core 2 processor and a single gig of RAM that absolutely flies along on SolusOS Linux. I've absolutely no intention of ever getting rid of the machine, so long as it still has a heartbeat. :D So I don't think your Mac is anywhere near being due for a replacement. Drive it like you stole it! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back