Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I know this sounds crazy

KPoole9008

I am wanting to put windshield squirters to squirt water in front of my rear tires. I want to do burnouts [i'm reliving my teenage years] without putting too much strain on the rearend. I have all the pieces to do the job. I have changed washer pumps and the new one leaks to, so it's not the pump causing the leaking. The water tank is above the squirter nozzles. Gravity causes the water to drip out of the tank thru the nozzles when the pump is turned off. I need some type of valve that will keep the water from leaking out. The tank is mounted in the rear so I need something that is electric or that will let the water flow in one direction and not leak. Any ideas?

I am wanting to put windshield squirters to squirt water in front of my rear tires. I want to do burnouts [i'm reliving my teenage years] without putting too much strain on the rearend. I have all the pieces to do the job. I have changed washer pumps and the new one leaks to, so it's not the pump causing the leaking. The water tank is above the squirter nozzles. Gravity causes the water to drip out of the tank thru the nozzles when the pump is turned off. I need some type of valve that will keep the water from leaking out. The tank is mounted in the rear so I need something that is electric or that will let the water flow in one direction and not leak. Any ideas?
Put a loop in the feed tube(s) so that the highest point of the loop is higher than the top of the feed tank, or at least higher than the highest level of water in the tank.

Jeff

I'm pretty sure the higher loop won't work, the water will just syphon on out, just like when you were a kid and used a piece cut off of my garden hose to syphon all the gas out of my car. HA! Seriously, you need a spring loaded valve that won't flow unless you have 1-2lbs of pressure. I think you could make one pretty easy...

We had the same problem back in 1969 when we were racing a Judge Ram Air IV. Only back the we used a mixture of bleach and water. Maybe a 2 pound brake line check valve would solve the problem if you can find hose fittings for the ws washer tubing that you are using. Mount it to hold the pressure in the line between the pump end the check valve. The pump should have sufficient pressure to over come the check valve, but to be sure use a pressure gauge on the pump first.

Our problem was the WW tank siphoned dry as soon as it was turned on the first time so we only added enough fluid for one burnout.

Al

You need something to introduce air into the outlet when and only when the pump isn't running. That will break any siphon.

Consider a "y" fitting downstream from the pump outlet but upstream of the nozzles and a check valve that vents when there's no pressure in the water line, that will break the siphon.

Your thumb on the vent of the y fitting would prove out what I'm saying without much of an investment...

Around here, doing burn outs on the street or parking lot will get you a ticket for Excessive Display of Horsepower along with a significant fine.

I'm pretty sure the higher loop won't work, the water will just syphon on out,
I obviously didn't think that one through all the way. I guess it has been too long since I "borrowed" any gas.
Jeff

I don't think I would want any Bleach on my paint or interior, or eyes... and like you say, the ticket is for exhibition of speed... Not a good one on your record, especially if/when the insurance Co. sees that one.. OUCH! bit me back... :) Besides that, you better have real good rear suspension components = radius rods and their mounting brackets, strong U Joints, etc. etc. when the bleach or water dries up and it bites, be ready, as you have already pulled the trigger...

Try eBay for "electric valve." Find one that works on 12 volts and splice it into the line from the tank to the pump. Wire it to open when the pump is on. Now, what can we put in the water to make the burnout really dramatic?

How bout two washer pumps mount the pumps just under the frame one on each side and make the nozzle right on the pump so it sprays on the tire then their is no hose to drain. Then the tank can gravity drain to feed each pump.

PS BLEACH WILL RUIN THE PLASTIC PUMP FO-SHO

I just stumbled into this thread and have to laugh because I've been telling the "drifting" guys they don't need horse power, they just need to spray water on their tires with controls for front and/or rear, left and/or right and criss-cross. When I used a joy stick as an example for control and even time delay/activate boxes, faces have gone blank. I guess the logistics behind that slowed'em down a bit.... LOL

I just stumbled into this thread and have to laugh because I've been telling the "drifting" guys they don't need horse power, they just need to spray water on their tires with controls for front and/or rear, left and/or right and criss-cross. When I used a joy stick as an example for control and even time delay/activate boxes, faces have gone blank. I guess the logistics behind that slowed'em down a bit.... LOL

Ya man
But den you aint got the 'street' of a dyno sheet. Need no dissin from the possy. I as got 395 big unes in mi ride, in it....

Gerry

hello! i AM a drifter and am just about done with this nifty little mod. i've been working on it on and off for 4 years. i had a custom shift knob made with a momentary activation switch built into it, re-ran all new lines with 90degree spray tips pointed directly at the back tires.

BUT i am running into the same issue where it just siphons all the water out as soon as i do the first squirt.
i extended the lines to reach the top of the wheel well so it was above the resiviour and that fixed my siphon problem, but now not as much water is reaching the contact point for the tires to the pavement. anybody try the poppet valve? i'm very curious to see if it works. also anybody know about how many PSI the squirter motor generates? i know all cars will be different, but i cant imagine there would be THAT large of a difference?

i signed up to the forums specifically for THIS subject :)

Look in the Mc Master Carr catalog. They make the check valves with barb fittings on each end just the right size for your flexible tubing.
Look at part number 47245K27

Put a loop in the feed tube(s) so that the highest point of the loop is higher than the top of the feed tank, or at least higher than the highest level of water in the tank.

Jeff

That would probably work if, after you squirted the tires, you ran the pump backwards for a couple of seconds to empty the tube(s). It could be done with a momentary double pole, double throw toggle switch. The pump would have to be between the loop and the tank.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back