Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I'm looking for some member input

Would you like to see the photo gallery restored to this site, available to all members?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Several months ago, I installed a photo gallery on this site. The ability to upload images was reserved for supporting members only, and the gallery went over like the proverbial turd in the collection plate. I had members of another site begging for a gallery, so I un-installed it here and moved it over there.

The gallery developer has been hammering out an updated version of the script, and it is looking pretty amazing. The script is in Beta testing and we're expecting a release within the next few days. The members over at Hot Rod Refuge are gearing up for it, and one of them asked if we would be installing the same gallery here.

I do have an extra license I could use on this site, if there is enough interest in it. I really don't need to spend time installing and configuring the software, if no one is interested in using it. My thoughts are that I could configure a fresh install, allowing all members the ability to create albums, but giving supporting members the option to create additional albums, or possibly to store more images per album.

If you've read this far, it won't take another 2 seconds to cast a vote, so let me know if you would be interested in seeing a gallery for this site.

I say, go for it!

Jim

I really see no use for it to me. I host everything offsite so I still have it and can post it on other sites if needed. The part I don't get (and I don't mean this in a bad way) is for a site that has financial problems what seems like every month that you want to keep adding things with more licenses. :confused: Doesn't that drive the cost up?

I really see no use for it to me. I host everything offsite so I still have it and can post it on other sites if needed. The part I don't get (and I don't mean this in a bad way) is for a site that has financial problems what seems like every month that you want to keep adding things with more licenses. :confused: Doesn't that drive the cost up?
It would drive the cost up if it required me to purchase a new license, yes. But, as mentioned in Post #1, I do have an extra gallery license that is currently not in use, so there would be no additional, out-of-pocket expense. I figure the license can lay unused, or I can add it to this site and put it to use. As for disk space, our recent upgrades (which I am covering out of my own pocket, mind), leave us with room for some image storage. I won't be allowing unlimited numbers of images of unlimited size to be uploaded, so there will be control of the resources being used. I reckon I can allow members to use a photo gallery, or allow them to upload photo attachments, but ether way, I am storing the images.

Like you, I store images on the Web, so a gallery function is not real important to me. As a natter of fact, back in September, I set up a new domain on one of my VPS accounts, just for the sole purpose of storing images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back