Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the T-Bucket Forums discussions? Then sign up for a free forum account, today!

Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters                Spirit Industries                Southern Legacy Freight!               

Dismiss Notice
Thank you for visiting the T-Bucket Forums! This site was created in 2006, to provide enthusiasts with a place to discuss T-Buckets. Over the years, there have been many imitators, but this is the T-Bucket resource you have been looking to find. We encourage you to register a FREE account and join in on the discussions.

Info and Video Request

Discussion in 'Spirit Cars' started by Island Girl, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I ordered a Spirit kit, I figured the Spirit Cars heading made the most sense.

Since I have a few months to test my patience before my '27 ships, I thought that trying to get as many of the additional items that are not part of the kit on hand might be a good plan.

I found the website to be pretty lean when it comes to details and dimensions, but for as many turn-keys as they make, they must have knowledge of a lot of things that I'll run into as a kit builder.

There's a couple things that I'd really like to know, so as to get them ordered in advance so I'll have them when the kit arrives, and both of them might make a really good subject for a video.

I'd like to know some part numbers and details/dimensions of which motor mounts are most commonly used for the BBC into the Spirit frames. . .

Pictures and a motor install video would be awesome . . .

And I'd like to know the driveshaft length and which series of universal joints the S10 rear end uses for the BBC with a 700R4.

It looks like I can go two ways, either a custom shaft with 1350 series universals which means I'd need to change the pinion yoke, since it's 1344 stock, (near as I can sleuth out) or use a conversion universal that's 1350 by 1344 to keep the stock, but weaker, pinion yoke.

Input from what you guys have done would be most helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Darlene

On another entirely different note, I got the 454 fired up after sitting for pretty close to 6 or 8 years or so . . .

Turned out to be easier than I expected

Sounded smooth and sweet

#1 Island Girl, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Spanky likes this.
  2. old round fart

old round fart
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    You seem to be light years ahead of most new bucketheads! I don’t think you will have any trouble getting your T on the road. I like the motor choice. I’m going big block in my build too.

Attached Files:

3. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

Is there a machine shop on your island that can make up a driveshaft for you? When the engine and third member are installed in their final position is the time to measure for a driveshaft, and even though T-buckets are lightweight cars, I'd go with the strongest yoke you can get. Here's a pic of my driveshaft, made up and balanced by a shop here in St Louis.

Driveshaft.jpg

4. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager

While I'm kinda new to the hot rod cars world, especially "T's", I've spent more sweat and $$$ than I care to admit on hot rod boats.

I just have a special place in my heart for blown BBC's.

This one's still waiting for me in my storage lockers back in Houston:
    That's a 14-71 Littlefield (magnesium case) with a Mike Dunn offset distributor, Dart heads, Oliver rods, BRC crank, all the best of the best . . . Just waiting to go back in the K boat.

BlownGasRat_1.jpg MVC-595X.JPG MVC-610X.JPG MVC-709X.JPG MVC-716X.JPG

As far machine shops go, nothing comes close here.

I'll be ordering a Strange Engineering one thru Summit.

That's why knowing the length now would let me have it in-hand by the time the kit gets here.

I'll be ordering the wheels and tires this week, and the transmission next week. that should cover the big items not part of the kit.

Darlene

5. old round fart

old round fart
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    I’ll bet Spirit knows the length. They May be able to supply it. Did you drive the boat?

6. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager
    Yeppers, albeit with a less potent engine, before deciding it needed more HP and building the one in the pics . . . only to end up with the project on hold when I came to the Islands in 2001.

K boats are normally blown alcohol, but I built that one to be a pump-gas river racer

Couple K boat vids, these thing have unbelievable acceleration

#6 Island Girl, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    rubicon and Spanky like this.
  7. old round fart

old round fart
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    Those are bad ass! Do they drag or oval race? Those would be a scary ski boat!

8. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget a drive shaft hoop, what with a BB and your like for big HP.

9. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager

Oval, counter-clockwise, hence the need for a right hand rotation prop, (lifts the right side of the boat to let it slide thru turns easier) which necessitates the driveshaft forward to the V-drive be driven from the front end of the motor, where drag and river race boats can use a left hand prop and drive off the read end of the motor where the crankshaft is much stronger.

10. old round fart

old round fart
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    That is cool. I thought it turned pretty fast to the left when they turned around. Love the hop!

11. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager
  12. rodder25

rodder25
    Expand Collapse

I ordered some parts from Ron Pope Motor Sports 7/20/18 they said they were shipped on 7/23/18 they never came. I called their phone the operator said that is no longer a working number. Does anybody know they are still in business or just ripping people off. Thank You

13. old round fart

old round fart
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    Haven’t heard anything but it must be a mistake somewhere. Ron is a standup guy and won’t let anybody down. Check the logo at top of page for contact info.

14. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

rodder25 . . . are you aware that Ron is the person responsible for this web site? He is a quality individual, definitely still in business, and I am sure that something went amiss with your order. There is no need to accuse him of "ripping people off" before you have the facts, and those of us who know Ron are a little offended. Just chill a little while, and I am sure he will respond to your post.o_O

409T likes this.
  15. rbsWELDER

rbsWELDER
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

RPM's phone number is (865) 932-7541.

16. HenrysT

HenrysT
    Expand Collapse

Carpenter
    You should of started your own thread, under the RPM section, instead of muddying up "Island Girl"s thread. Ron defiantly wouldn't do you wrong on purpose, did you dial the right number?

AusBucket and 409T like this.
  17. Pushrod

Pushrod
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

retired
    Sounds like you have a great plan......and a healthy budget.:thumbsup:

18. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager

All my other vehicles are paid for, and the only other T project on the island, (that I've seen or know of) is a basic/economy Total Performance 23 t-bucket kit that's been languishing half completed and now badly rusted for close to 20 years.

I want to build, drive, and enjoy mine before I get too old, so I didn't mind hitting up my local banking institution again.

It's one thing if you have the space and a place to work to take some serious time for a build, but I like to see, even larger projects, done in a years time or so.

Years back when I was young and very poor, I let a couple projects run a couple years in the making, it was hard to stay focused as so many new ideas kept coming to mind. Below is a project from the '70's that I worked on for about 3 years . . . lotta rebought parts and wasted $$ by the time it hit the car shows . . .

Once it's together and I get some "seat time", I'll do the engine mods out of pocket, probably next spring.

Darlene

Attached Files:

#18 Island Girl, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    lincolnuT and Spanky like this.
  19. Pushrod

Pushrod
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

retired
    You go, Island Girl.....most guys can only dream of the things you're doing.

20. Island Girl

Island Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Manager
    Thanks,

I think most people are more capable than they give themselves credit for . . .

Since I've been here in the Caribbean, I've mostly done custom water-cooled computer builds, this kit will be the first really major project, at least of an automotive nature.

But shop skills and fabrication experience is all transferable . . here's a computer project from a few years back, 3 cases cut and sectioned into one with 3 cooling loops and a gull wing side panel

Attached Files:

Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! White Rose Technology Ting Mobile Buy VPN

SSL Certificate