Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Inner wheel bearing fit

Hello- new member looking for advice. Acquired an older build Tbucket with 49-54 Chevy spindles that have 18" inch wire wheels ( unknown brand) I'm trying to replace original Timken 15123 inner bearings with new Timken 15123 bearings and they won't slide on spindle. Old ones go off and on OK.
No obvious burrs, nicks eye on spindle. I also tried cross referenced National bearings with same results.
I've heard of heating the bearing but wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
Outer bearings fit fine.
Thanks for any advice !

Mic the old & new bearings , if there's a significant difference they may have honed the inner race ...I would guess a competent machinist could do the same ..
dave

Are you sure those bearings are correct for the spindles? You never know what mods may have been done. Someone may have honed the inner race or something. I would measure them, measure the spindle, and either check a bearing site for the size, to the like. I have had to buy bearings that we're sae on the outer diameter and metric on the inner before when matching stuff up. I wouldn't force the bearing on or expand it, you will risk causing it to fail, imho. If you have to, a brake hone may open it up if it's a minimal amount.

Those bearings came with Total Performance spindle mount wheels for Chevy spindles. They were modified by Total to fit.

I Just happen to have an unused pair of them if you're interested. They are of no use to me anymore so you can have them for the cost of shipping.

How hard will it be to remove the spindle and polish the bearing area . That bearing race is really hard.

Agree with Ron on this one. Just treat it as if it was a crankshaft with croakers cloth and take just enough off to be able to push the bearing on with 2/3 thousandths clearance and tighten the hub hand tight with a wrench plus 1/8 turn more or the next hole for the cotter pin. You will be fine with no wobble in the wheels. And never have to worry about the next set of bearings, unless you forget to grease them when you install them.

Reactions: RPM
Those bearings came with Total Performance spindle mount wheels for Chevy spindles. They were modified by Total to fit.

I Just happen to have an unused pair of them if you're interested. They are of no use to me anymore so you can have them for the cost of shipping.

RussS- appreciate your offer for the bearings but not needed. I ordered new 18 " polished 12 spokes and wheel bearings from Radir to fit the stock 49-54 spindles. It was great to know that these were modified bearings from TP for that wheel. Couldn't figure out why new Timken bearing, same number wouldn't fit , that explains it !

Maybe someone can confirm this ...IIRC , TP was furnishing thier own spindles w/thier axles , seems they were a mix of 49-54 chevy/ford econoline .. not trying to muddy the waters , but I'd confirm that what you have are actual 49-54 spindle dimensions before ordering wheels ....
dave

Maybe someone can confirm this ...IIRC , TP was furnishing thier own spindles w/thier axles , seems they were a mix of 49-54 chevy/ford econoline .. not trying to muddy the waters , but I'd confirm that what you have are actual 49-54 spindle dimensions before ordering wheels ....
dave
This is true, they had their own spindles that were a mix of things. Econoline king pins, 49-54 Chevy bolt pattern for caliper brackets, and then the 37-48 Ford stub for bearings. A real mix of parts.

The spindle OD for the inner bearing is 1.281 - that seems consistent with stock 49-54 Chevy.
I believe the TP's were machined down to 1.250 ?

Appreciate the heads up. I saw the thread and now I am concerned. Hopefully the parts I ordered are Radir wheels and a brake kit. Believe that Wintech is just a vendor for those parts and not a manufacturer.
Keeping my fingers crossed

RussS,
Looks like the wheels I ordered are not available until late July at the earliest so I need to keep running my TP wires. If your generous offer of the bearings still stands I'll take it. My Chevy spindle OD for the inner bearing bore is 1.281 inches. Please send me your contact info and I'll send you a check to cover shipping and a little extra. Thanks again !

O.D.

Jerry, did you ever get those Radir wheels installed? And if so, did you have to modify anything to make them fit? I bought some of those for my car and everything fits except the inner bearings are not seated in the race. I have original 49/52 Chevy spindles on the car. There should be some kind of spacer in there to take up the space, but I don't know,what size it should be. Did you have this problem?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back