Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It just doesn't sound like a hot rod

LarryH

When i bought my T-Bucket it was running what i was told was 327 Corvette engine. According to the casting numbers it's a '62 through '65 327. I have no idea whether it's a Corvette engine or not. I don't know what size cam it has but it had a real nice lopey idle and i loved the Pete Jackson gear drive. It sounded like a hot rod. Heads turned because it sounded like a hot rod. It just brought a smile to my face every time i fired it up. A Fresno PD even smiled really big and gave me a thumbs up. And that was with open headers. But it developed a few issues and in order to have as little down time as possible i dumped a GM Goodwrench 350 long block into it. It runs really good with the Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold, Performer 600 cfm carb and Summit HEI. But it just doesn't sound like a hot rod.

The 327 is sitting under some shelves in the garage. And i need an engine for my '56 Chevy. It's going to be a cruiser. Something to haul the grandkids around in. Something i can cruise long distance in. A simi daily driver. Sitting on a shelf above the 327 is a COMP Cams K12-206-2 High Energy Cam and Lifter Kit (260/260, Lift .440/.440) and a COMP Cams Magnum Rocker Arm Kits (roller tip rockers and push rods) that i bought a few years back for a later model Chevy truck i was working on but sold before i got around to rebuilding the engine. Hmmmm....i could swap the cam for a COMP Cams 268 (268/280, Lift .479/.480) for a little more power and a nice idle, bore it 30 over, maybe a set of .194 valves, keep the gear drive...It wouldn't take that long to pull the 350. And to me, "327" sounds more hot rod than "350"...And the '56 does need an engine...

Then it would sound like a hot rod.

Larry, im with you on the 327 it is a much better sounding engine, imo, plus you have the old school feel knowing that you have a real piece of GM history in the engine bay. When I was in high school my best friends brother had a 69 z28 with a super bad 302 full roller motor and to this day I've never been able to replicate the sound or the feel of that engine. Push forward my friend let the horse's run... Bob

Is this what your crate motor sounds like? Nice looking headers on it also.
[media]

Either camshaft will make good low-RPM power and will work well with your intake and carburetor.

If it were me, I would use a stock rocker and see if I could sell the roller-tipped rockers. There's really no advantage to be found using them with a hydraulic lifter. No clearance between the rocker and the valve, so the tip doesn't ever actually roll very far. I've sent several sets of rocker arms back to another manufacturer (not Comp Cams) to have the roller tips replaced, after being used with hydraulic lifters. The tips would actually scrub themselves flat. People think those roller tip rockers will eliminate friction, thus freeing up horsepower. Stop and thinks about this - where is the largest surface-to-surface friction area with a stock SBC rocker? Between the rocker tip and valve, or between the rocker body and the pivot ball? If there was power to be made by eliminating friction in a rocker arm :no:, then you would want a stock rocker body with a roller trunnion.

Roller rockers aren't about friction, they are about being able to work at higher lift ranges with higher valve spring loads.

Sell the rockers and use the cash to buy something that will make power, if that is what you're looking to do.

LOL well got side tracked again thanks to putz I watching a few more vids and found yhis thing ..
[media]

Has a brand new Camaro go past me the other day. Fast car but it sounded like a bumble bee on speed.

Cars should sound like cars not like a 150mph motorcycle.

Larry,

I'll be driving back down to SoCal on Friday July 30th. Would like to hook up with you again so I can see your T running this time. Just my 2 cents worth, but if your at cam selection time for another engine, go with an RV cam. Sure you won't have as much power on the high end, but you will have a lot more torque at the low end and as you know, that is where we have the most fun. Hopefully you either have a manual tranny or a stock rpm stall converter which with an RV cam will need to be shifted to neutral at the stop lights or your going to have a tired brake foot if it is going into a really light car like a T.

Hi Putz,

Nice ride, do I envy your DOOR! Wish I had one or two.

Hi Bob. I'll mark the 30th on my calender. My car has a Powerglide. Not sure about the converter.

Hi Bob. I'll mark the 30th on my calender. My car has a Powerglide. Not sure about the converter.
Just wondering, are you planning to make the 101 Fun Run just for T's? I'll be going and below is an email from Dennis with some of the particulars.....................

Hi Folks,

This is just a reminder that the SO-CAL T’s 6th Annual 101 Fun Run is scheduled for August 6th & 7th, 2010. This year we are again the host for the famous Crusin Grand car show and cruise night in Escondido on Friday night. On Saturday will be travelling from Encinitas to the beautiful town of Julian. Julian is a nice little town with lots of shopping, restaurants, homemade apple pie and bread. Again Brett’s BBQ has offered us his parking lot for the end of the crusie. We will be having special awards this year and everyone will receive a door prize for showing up. This year we are requesting a $20.00 pre-registration fee to help cover the costs of the t-shirts, dash plaques, awards and other items. SO-CAL T’s membership is working very hard to make this year’s event very special for you and the ladies.

More information along with a pre-registration form will be coming next week along with a motel/hotel list. SO-CAL T’s looks forward to seeing you again at this year’s 101 Fun Run. If you have any questions please contact me at 760-634-2614 or at dlmahar@pacbell.net or at dennis.mahar@sdsheriff.org. Please pass this e-mail on to your friends.

LOL well got side tracked again thanks to putz I watching a few more vids and found yhis thing ..

That is so freeking over the top.... I LOVE it. only in So Cal :thumb: . I can't imagine that that's actually street legal in Ca however. can you see the look on the DMV clerks face when that thing rolled up to get registered? :pms:

I want one!,
Russ

Larry,

A fast and simple way to get a good idea as to the stall rpm of your converter is in "drive" hold yourself with the brakes and give it throttle until your tach stops its upward movement and that will be a good indicator of your stall speed. Most stock converters will be about 1800 rpms and if an engine is built for low rpm grunt, then stock is what you want. If you have an engine like mine that is producing 420 hp @ 6400 rpms from just 355 cid then you have a rather high strung engine that if I was running an automatic I would choose about a 3500 rpm converter. Since I use a manual tranny I can just dump the clutch at that speed but I have never needed to do that because so far nobody has offered enough competition for me to have to.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back