Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

King Pin Replacement Question..

Do they need reaming after fitting???

Do they need reaming after fitting???
Ron of course is correct, they do need reaming.. I got the new bushings in ok & I'm just waiting for my reamer to arrive.. The hard part for me is having to wait for the tops of the pins to be chromed.. Could be 4 weeks... Can't wait to get them back..

pins to be chromed.. Could be 4 weeks.

Could always just turn up a cap and stick it on. Done in SS and to the same design as all the other fasteners on show.

Blank on the right with recess for KP head

king pin caps2.JPG

king pin caps.JPG

pins to be chromed.. Could be 4 weeks.

Could always just turn up a cap and stick it on. Done in SS and to the same design as all the other fasteners on show.

Blank on the right with recess for KP head

View attachment 16646

View attachment 16645
I thought about doing that but just about everything else is chrome so I decided to keep it the same.. It will cost me $50 to get the two tops chromed along with the two felt pad cup washers..

That's a whole lot of money for those chrome caps! If you did turn a couple of caps from stainless you could polish them to look nearly as good as stainless. And they will never rust!

That's a whole lot of money for those chrome caps! If you did turn a couple of caps from stainless you could polish them to look nearly as good as stainless. And they will never rust!
My parts are already in the chrome shop but I will certainly consider this IF there's is a need to do them again..

There's a couple of good ideas (Gerry and Resinator) that are a bit cheaper. I'm the kind of guy that tries to do everything myself if I can.
Just sayin"

I went with Speedways needle bearings and not bushings a little pricey but if you and up the cost of the reamer or paying some one to ream them its not so bad

So I got my king pins back from the chrome shop & apparently they don't follow directions well.. They have chrome plated the whole pin instead of doing just the tops as I asked.. Is this a problem or should I have them stripped ?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back