Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Larger wheel size?

trogdor

I've noticed many tbuckets have 15 inch wheels. Is there a technical reason for that or mostly looks? I'm looking for wheels now and I've seen lots of Corvette/Camaro sets available that are 17 or 18 or even 20 inches. Maybe just not as traditional of a look? Does anyone run these larger wheels?

I think you've guessed the reason. On a T-bucket a 15 inch wheel and a lot of sidewall showing just looks better IMHO.

Her's an example with big wheels. It's a matter of taste . . .

Attachments

• Kool 27.jpg
    Kool 27.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I think you've guessed the reason. On a T-bucket a 15 inch wheel and a lot of sidewall showing just looks better IMHO.

Her's an example with big wheels. It's a matter of taste . . .
Thanks for the picture, that helps. That does look different, sort of cool though. But it does change the look a lot.

He are a few pictures of 20" dia wheels on t-buckets.
Standard Body  20 inch Bed.jpg

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 16
  • nat2375.jpg
    nat2375.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 10-19-22 at 07.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 10-19-22 at 07.07 PM.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 19
There is more to the "Death Wobbles" than tires.......First thing I would look at is how far back the top of your axel is, needs to be 6/9 degrees, then look at the Toe in or out of the front end, My straight axel likes toe OUT. Those are the things that will fix you problem.....

Did anyone (Ted Brown or Bill Dar) ever talk about toe in vs toe out in relationship with whether the toe rod was in front of the axel or behind the axel?

Thanks for the pictures everyone! Those help a lot. Going the other direction, does anyone run 14 inch wheels? I imagine they have a pretty similar look to the 15 inch ones.

Thanks for the pictures everyone! Those help a lot. Going the other direction, does anyone run 14 inch wheels? I imagine they have a pretty similar look to the 15 inch ones.
While you will probably be able to find cheap sets of 14" wheels you will have a tough time finding tire options for them vs 15" or 16"

My first set of front wheel and tires were 14”. C78-14. Skinny tires.
Later I switched to 15” wheels. The wheels were 15X5 wide. The front tires are radials and much wider. The bucket seemed to handle and track better.

I use 14's on the front of mine to enhance the "big-n-littles" look. So far no problem finding tires.

Attachments

• G.jpg
    G.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 13
Bill Darr will tell you that is doesn't mater if it is n front or behind the axel. I have had three Buckets and two were behind and one was in front and all three liked toe out to stop the Death Wobble....I live about 10 blocks from Bill in Artesia, I will talk to him again to update......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back