Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Link question

hutchman

Being new here and not wanting to get off on the wrong foot, I see in the rules that linking is not allowed.

There is also a ban on copyright material. I've found some information that I think might be of interest to those on this board, yet with the above rules, it appears I am not allowed to post it.

So here is the link and if this is not allowed, please delete it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html

But if it is not allowed, how can we help others out with this type of info?

I'm going to take a stab at this, and hopefully if I fall on my face, one of those with greater knowledge will step in to correct me and we'll all learn even more.

Let's suppose that I have a friend named Bob who keeps his T-bucket parked in the driveway so that passers-by and visitors can all see it. It is common knowledge that Bob welcomes everyone to stop and admire it in his yard, even if he isn't home. One day you come to my house, we are talking about T-buckets and I offer to show you Bob's. Here there are two options. First, we could get in my car and drive over to Bob's house to see it, this is totally acceptable even though Bob is not home. Second, although Bob is not home, I know where he keeps the key so I can drive over to Bob's house and bring back his T-bucket for you to see, and then return it when you are done. I don't have permission to do this, but no harm no foul, right?

The first case is similar to what you have done in your conversion chart link above. You have directed the reader to the other person's house and that is where they are viewing the chart. This is perfectly acceptable.

In the example below I have linked a picture from another web site to this one. In essence, I am bringing the picture from that web site here for you to view, and then it gets returned when you leave this page. This is the same as bringing Bob's car back to my house. In the car example I would be using gasoline purchased with his money for my own purposes, here I am using the resources purchased by the owner of the web site for my purposes. Technically both instances are stealing and I could get into trouble. The only saving grace here is that I am "stealing" this image and related resources from a site named bowtee.com which I own, but if I were linking to a site that I did not own it would be theft of that owner's band width and perhaps other resources. Granted is is a small thing, but if lots of people were linking to the same spot it could create problems, not to mention the fact that no one gave me permission to do so. There is a chance that quite a few people will open this thread, so the image below might get linked to many times. Again, in this instance it is OK, but in any other one it probably would not be.

2085RE.jpg

That is an EXCELLENT explanation! You've put in VERY simple manner that everyone can understand. My hat's off to you, 409T.

Jim

@hutchman , all we ask is that links be used to help others find information, and not to simply promote another Web site. We have had situations where businesses want to add signature links, leading back to their commercial Web sites. Those kinds of links are not permitted. If someone wants to promote their business on this site, they can purchase advertising, else they can go link-drop elsewhere.

We had a former member of this site, who announced he was going to shut us down, with his own T-Bucket forum site. Suddenly, he was playing Chatty Cathy on other T-Bucket-oriented sites, adding links to his site in each post. We don't play those kinds of games, here. If someone has a blog site they want to link to, then post the link. If someone has a Web site showing build photos, family photos, etc., then post the link. If someone has what could be considered a competitive site, then they need to go link-drop elsewhere.

One of the 'best' moves I could make to help build traffic to this site would be to add links to this forum to sites like the NTBA forums, or the the Spirit forums. Search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) love to see contextual links on like sites. As forums like the NTBA's grow, the search engines start granting them more 'authority' on T-Buckets. So, if I add a link to this site on to theirs, then the search engines start 'thinking' this site is authoritative, as well. But, as I said, we don't play those kinds of games. I purposely avoid the afore-mentioned forum sites, simply because I do not want the owners and operators of those sites to think I am there trawling for potential, new members. And yes, I have been victim of that game, as well. Three members of this site decided to set up a competitive forum of their own, and in order to build traffic, they came here and used our Private Messaging service to attract new members. It seemed to be a fool-proof way to gain new members, but pipe dreams being what they are, I was onto their trick within an hour. I am very fortunate to have some very good friends on this site, and those people have always got my back.

I have no quarrel with anyone who feels they can build a better mousetrap. But I climbed up no one's back to build this site, so I am somewhat less than accommodating (How's that for being politically correct??) when others try to climb up my own.

As for copying content from an external site to this one, that is a violation of copyright. Not a law that I created, but it is a law I must observe. If, for instance, you copy the content of an external Web site and post it here, it is not you who is at fault. I am the one held responsible, as I am the one who is actually publishing the copied content. And if you really want to see a can of worms, start reading about Fair Use, when it comes to Web sites. Typically, a good rule to use, with respect to Fair Use, is to copy no more than one or two sentences, and to post a link back to the originating site. I once ran a rather large Scottish-oriented site, and we pulled in a news feed from a Scottish newspaper. Their definition of Fair Use was that I was allowed to show the headline of their articles in the feed, and that was it. By posting any of the content of their article, I was stepping outside their legal definition of Fair Use. Fair Use is naught but a slippery slope.

Here is a really good rule of thumb to use, when posting to any Web site. If you are hesitant about posting some content, because you think it might be outside the rules, then go with your gut and assume it is outside the rules.

Thanks...I will post that link in the appropriate area. Seems like it would be a good bit of information for anyone trying to achieve an old time look with new tires.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back