Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Midwest winter

JimL

New to this so this will be my first winter storage. Any tips on wintering over a bucket in an unheated Chicago garage?

Be sure your antifreeze coolant is up to snuff. (Don't ask me how I know this!:rolleyes:) Will you be able to start and run the engine occasionally?

Be sure your antifreeze coolant is up to snuff. (Don't ask me how I know this!:rolleyes:) Will you be able to start and run the engine occasionally?
I can start the engine whenever I want. Also planning on having a battery tender on it.

I can start the engine whenever I want. Also planning on having a battery tender on it.

Sounds great! Might want to change the oil & filter and go with a lighter viscosity, 'winter-friendly' oil weight. Also, most of us put some additive (Sta-Bil or similar) in the gas tank to help keep it viable. I also use a small external electric engine block heater that sticks to the bottom of the oil pan with magnets. It will keep the oil somewhat warm.

Thanks so much!! Nervous about it not starting or something else happening to it over the winter.
Thanks again!!

I live. fairly close to you , I store my T the same way I store my boat , lawnmower , chainsaw ,etc ,
I put it in the heated garage and shut it off.... 10/30 oil is plenty thin enough for winter , fine for summer too , sta bil turn to jelly ..... antifreeze ( coolant ) is good for 5 years + -. Only thing that is of any value is getting tires off the floor for extended storage ..

If you have any bright work, you might want to put a good coat of wax on it and leave it on till spring

I'll be sleeping in my unfinished bucket, my body heat will keep the seats warm.....but seriously, I don't want to think about winter yet.

Move to the South...…….No more worries with the cold.....

Let's see , cold vs. , choking heat ,humidity ,hurricanes , tornadoes ,flash floods ,drought, poisonous snakes , spiders. Sink holes, etc. The south , yea , what a deal... LOL...

Let's see , cold vs. , choking heat ,humidity ,hurricanes , tornadoes ,flash floods ,drought, poisonous snakes , spiders. Sink holes, etc. The south , yea , what a deal... LOL...
I still like living in Florida over my previous 61 years in northeast Ohio. I especially enjoy the lack of filthy pothole filled roads here over those up there. So, for the last 15 years I can say that I've really enjoyed it.

Jim

We live in beautiful Illinois. My son and his family live in North Carolina. The first time we went to visit him was in July some years back. We got up, showered, dressed and walked outside. 5 minutes later we were soaking wet from perspiration. I asked him" How can you stand this?" He said, "Look at it this way, you stay inside all winter. We stay inside all summer!"
Like they say down there" It's hot, but thank God it's humid."
I like the changing seasons. They have them down there, too. But, a lot longer hot spells along with snakes, fire ants, black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders and killer bees.
I look at this way, every place has something. Good or bad. Pick your poison.
Just sayin"

I live in the Southwest and we have a dry heat here and a warm winter......I have been in the Humid places and just can not take it so I will stay in the Southern Desert....LOL...….

I was born and lived in Ohio for 50 years. My wife and I moved to the Gulf coast of Florida 17 1/2 years ago. Then the kids came down. We love it. We always wonder where those spider, and bug stories came from because it's not any different than it was in Ohio with the ticks and copperheads. Most of the hurricanes miss us and go up the Gulf or the East coast and flood the North East.
I love being able to cruise on my Harley or T bucket all year but especially from November until May when it's sunny and in the 70s. I can still remember that April morning when we left Ohio in 2001, it was raining half rain and half sleet. I threw my ice scraper as far as I could throw it over the hill and then we left.
Gary

I hope that this link works. I found it a year or so ago. If you have delicate ears you may want to turn the sound down or off. This guy starts a drive in Boardman Township, Ohio which is a suburb to the south of Youngstown, Ohio. After several turns he ends up heading north on Hopkins Road heading into Youngstown city limits. The video stops less than a half mile from where I lived for my first twentyone years which is the last block in Youngstown before Boardman. After watching it you'll see why I enjoy my retirement years living in beautiful Florida!

Here is the link: Dude Loses His Mind Over The Number Of Potholes In His Town

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back