Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mounting my headlights

tfeverfred

As most of you know, Lumen gave me a set of Dietz headlights. They have the wire coming out of the bucket instead of the bolt. The cup that attaches to the bottom of the bucket, where the bolt goes through is missing. Now, RPM is fabbing me a set of stands that will have a flat mounting surface. If I use an aluminum ring, in place of the missing cup, will they tighten up enough using a nut on the end of the bolt, so they don't move around? Here is another pic of the lamps.

lights002.jpg

Fred I wouldn't worry about them not tightening up. Heres how my dad did the lights when he was building the car I have now. They stay tight well enough that I don't have to change them, and remove my dad's soul. I just need to clean up the wiring.

It's not so much they are missing parts, they were mounted on this type of arms:

91061025_L.jpg

as you can see... they are designed to accept the round part of the mounting... I bet if Ron (RPM) is building you a pair of stands, he could come up with something to be similar to those in this picture to fit the headlights better...

Just food for thought...

Ahh..... I see clearer now. Not being familiar with these lights, I didn't know how they mounted. Please don't think I was bad mouthing your gift, LumenAl. I have been showing those lights off all day!

This morning, I was trolling through the hardware store and found something in the freaking plumbing section that will not only work, but is chrome as well! So, problem solved!:D

tfeverfred said:
...I was trolling through the hardware store and found something in the freaking plumbing section that will not only work, but is chrome as well! So, problem solved!:D

Perfect... I once read a post where some guy made headlights out of metal salad bowls! I asked him to post some pic's but he never came back... I was bummed!

LumenAl said:
Perfect... I once read a post where some guy made headlights out of metal salad bowls! I asked him to post some pic's but he never came back... I was bummed!

LumenAl, I also sought advice on the HAMB and a guy is sending me a set he had, but gosh darn it, these plumbing pieces look too cool! I'll get a pic in a couple minutes.

Here's a pic of a headlight with the fixture I found. The washer is just to hold it in place for this photo. As you can see, it works and has an industrial/mechanical look to it. Depending on what the HAMBer sends me, I'm going with it. It'll just be another piece that will have a story to tell.:beer: It's from a compression coupling. On the inside there is a rudder piece that came with it, that rest against the housing of the light.

lights-1.jpg

That looks good Fred. A little like mine, but even better. ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back