Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Multi-pin connectors

That first link is just a clone of the Deutsch DTM connectors, except they are using an open barrel
instead of the closed barrel that the Deutsch connectors use. They are expensive, but I love them!
It's the only time I don't solder a connection.

I bought these two kits

DTM - 16-22 ga - 7.5 amps
DTM Gray Installer Kit - WireCare.com

DT - 14-20 ga - 13 amps
DT, Installer Kit w/o Crimper, Gray - WireCare.com

Bought this crimping tool. It crimps from 4 sides making a very positive crimp. Have not had a problem
with one of these connections yet. But these are closed barrels which helps.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSTW33A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Deutsch connector has a mounting lug on it, all you have to do is screw a mounting bracket where
you want to hold the connector.

upload_2021-12-19_15-42-8.pngupload_2021-12-19_15-40-57.png

I use genuine Deutsch connectors for about 99% of the jobs in my shop, the exceptions simply being when I’m trying to match existing weatherpack GM connectors or if it’s a size range that doesn’t make as much sense in Deutsch, like Anderson 50amp or other such things.

Simply put, genuine Deutsch are the best in my experience which goes back to the 90’s as an automotive electrician and for a time an electrical engineer for a couple different heavy truck manufacturers. There’s a reason why many OEMs use Deutsch instead of sourcing cheaper alternatives.

@Wyo George
Sorry, couldn't figure out to LIKE your post "Multiple Times" !!!

The difference between open and closed barrel connectors is larger !

The Deutsch sure look good. Open vs Closed...why does it matter?

Indy, which of the Iwiss crimp tools did you get and how are they different?

The Deutsch sure look good. Open vs Closed...why does it matter?

Indy, which of the Iwiss crimp tools did you get and how are they different?

The clamping force of a closed barrel connector would be significantly higher than an open barrel
connector and higher vibration resistance. I did find where closed barrel is preferred
in Military applications.

Terminals for Terminators

Some Generalizations
In terms of the style of connector, the military generally prefers ring-style terminals, for the obvious reason
that they create a strong, secure connection. Quick disconnects, hook tongue terminals and spade styles
may be convenient and desirable in the civilian world. But if you are driving a tank through the desert,
your main concern is that your wire terminal remains attached.

In terms of the crimping portion of the terminal, the military generally goes with a closed-barrel
configuration, as opposed to the simple, stamped open-barrel configurations common in civilian application.
The reason is that closed-barrel configurations firmly grip a wire's insulation in addition to the conducting
material itself. This provides increased tensile strength and vibration resistance.

The graphic below shows the two crimps, but there are two more that you cannot see. You can see the
jaws in the 2nd graphic. You will have to adjust the depth of the pin as it drops into the crimper. This will
determine where along the pin the crimp will occur.

upload_2021-12-26_17-33-43.png upload_2021-12-26_17-35-41.png

I guess your asking which crimper I bought because there are multiple options with the link I provided, but
the link should take you to the actual one I bought which is the AWG26-12 for $149.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSTW33A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

upload_2021-12-26_17-48-10.png

Yeah, there is one crimper that seems to be different than the others. I guess the other 3 differ in contact size and wire sizes. A 16 contact appears to accommodate 16-20 ga wire, which would be good for me.
And there are DTM, DT and DTP designations which seem to correspond to 20, 16 and 12 size contacts, respectively. All very confusing.
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna go take my dementia meds now.

The DTM or DT Mini can handle not just 20 gauge wire but 16 thru 20 gauge wire in a solid pin/closed barrel and a max of 7.5 amps.
The DT can handle 14 thru 20 gauge wire and a max of 13 amps.

I have 2 pin/socket sizes for each series to accept the different size wire.

dtm - DTM Series - WireCare.com

All series of Deutsch connectors have from 2 pin to 12 pins in a single connector.

Deutsch_DTvsDTM_Connector_03103.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back