Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new engine

dustytrails

got it back in today ,hope to fire it up this weekend
a22.jpg

That's looking great Dusty!! Carefull you don't scorch that pretty RED paint.

Lookin' Saweet!!!!!!

Ohhhh MOMMA!:eek::rolleyes:

Don't hook up new ceramic headers while you break in the new cam... it will discolor them! I bought a set of beat up sprint headers for the break in. I've offered this up on the NTBA so I'll do the same here... if you want these used headers to use to break in your engine (or anyone else), pay the shipping, and you can have them... I only ask that you do the same for the next person... oh yea... SBC

Speaking of break in, I learned something recently that some of you might not know. I have never owned a roller cam engine till I put the Vortec together for my '23. Roller cam engines do not need the traditional 2000+ rpm for half hour break in like flat tappet solid or hydraulic cams do. Reason is, the rollers do not wear on the cam lobes like conventional lifters.

I just fired my rebuilt engine up, set the timing and carb, and drove it. I did not push it hard for the first so many miles (well, not VERY hard;):cool:.......OK, I DID A COUPLE OF SMOKEY BURNOUTS :eek::D) Then I simply changed the oil after the first 10 hours. Since I didn't have to run it at high rpms for that half hour I was able to bolt my coated Sanderson headers right on from the git go with no discoloration. My Son's T has a full roller 306 Ford, and we did the same thing to his.

Don

my headers are chrome will they discolor during the break in? I still have the old ones i can use ,everything is new in block,60 over pistons,cam,lifters,valves,springs,push rods,rocker arms,all the chrome on engine is new ,new oil pump, timing chain,new seals in transmission,new lokar shifter,350 with alum case powerglide,2 holly 450cfm,electronic ignition,ordered wilwood disc brake kit from speedway

dustytrails said:
my headers are chrome will they discolor during the break in? I still have the old ones i can use ,everything is new in block,60 over pistons,cam,lifters,valves,springs,push rods,rocker arms,all the chrome on engine is new ,new oil pump, timing chain,new seals in transmission,new lokar shifter,350 with alum case powerglide,2 holly 450cfm,electronic ignition,ordered wilwood disc brake kit from speedway

Until you break in the cam and set up the timing and carbs, very high probability you will discolor them in seconds! Use your old headers to set everything up just right, then install your chrome ones. Even then, you may get some discoloration, I gave up... 2 sets of chrome ones... I've gone with ceramic coating... up side is they cool off much faster! Good luck and enjoy the fire up... always fun!

VERY IMPORTANT!

If you are not running a roller cam and using a flat tappet cam, be sure to add break-in additive to the oil or use a zinc based oil such as Shell Rotella T so your cam doesn't fail! I personally just recommend anyone running a flat tappet cam to use the Rotella T oil all the time...

Don't have to take my word... see Comp Cam Tech Bulletin. Link provided below:

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/255.pdf

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back