Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New from NC

Brian N

new memeber from NC. Am in the initial planning stages of a bucket build. Not sure exactly what I want to build, but have wanted to build one for a long while. I spent the last 27 years moving from base to base in the Army, but recently retired and can start a long term project without fear of leaving for long periods of time for training or deploying or having to pack up and move to a new base. I’m a Chevy guy, but sure do like the looks of a flathead. Especially since I expect the engine to be the center piece of the build. This will be a residential garage build without a lot of fancy tools (I race dirt bikes and most of my tools are metric and hand powered, LOL) I have the basics like Air Compressor, vises, drill press, band saw, etc.. but no welder, plasma cutters and the line. I had to keep the amount of stuff I drug around while me moved to a minimum. I read a Hot Rod article a while ago where they basically bought everything they needed out of a catalog then just assembled it. Due to my lack of tools and intelligence in automotive design theory, would this be a smart route? I figure it would be more expensive, but would basically have a brand new car that drives straight and is safe at the end.

Welcome from St Louis, Brian. We have all sorts of skill levels represented here, so you'll get lots of help and encouragement. It took me 15 years to build mine - worked at it in spurts over the years - but finally got it on the road in May 2016. What a blast! Most of the "kits" are pretty well engineered as to the basics, but as you hang with us for awhile, you'll realize that half the fun is making your hot rod unique, and suitable to you. We have several sponsors on this site, all of whom can provide parts and info. Glad to have you on board!:)

PS - Check out some of the build pics in the Photo Album section to see how others have approached building theirs.

Welcome aboard! Since you live in N.C. I suggest that you contact one of our great sponsors that resides in N.C. He is Ron Pope of RPM Motorsports. He's a really great guy that'll be of help in supplying you with just about everything that you'll need to complete your build.

Jim

Welcome Brian!

The National T-Bucket Alliance has a chapter in the Carolinas, we call ourselves The Carolina T's. We will be hosting a regional T-bucket run in April of 2019.You are welcome to attend with or without a bucket. I attended several Nationals, before I owned a bucket, just to get ideas for my build. Finally, if you want to, I can put you in touch with other NC T-Bucket owners for guidance/assistance for your build.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I appreciate all the offers of support and am confident I will have to take a few of ya up on those offers when I start this project. My first major hurdle is to figure out what I want my end results to look like. I see lots of car shows and internet searching in my future. Splitting my time between work, my wife, running the boys to baseball games and practices and trying to race a dirt bike in the summer, I should be done around the year 2035. LOL. Thanks again guys!

I am building a list of parts I will need to build this car. below is my initial list. If you notice something I am missing please let me know. The part numbers/manufacturers will change over time, but the actual parts needed should remain. Most of this came from looking at Speedway Catalogs, etc.. The plan is to make a list and check off the items after I buy it. Hopefully I can source some of this stuff from some donor parts/cars I find locally. Then when all the blocks are checked, go out and assemble it.
That's the plan, but who knows how the execution of said plan will actually go

Engine: '85 H.O 5.0L
Trans: FMX Auto
Chassis and BodyFrame and body kit
Front disc brake kit
Disc Brake Valve (2)
Disc Brake Proportioning Valve
Walker Z-Series radiator for T-Bucket
T grille shell (extra deep)
11-gallon Spun Aluminum fuel tank
34 Ford commercial headlights
Stainless headlight mounts
Model A taillights (2)
Universal headlight mounts (2) for taillights
Short windshield posts
Tribute T windshield frame

Rear suspension kit with 9-inch axle
Third member assembly
Rear drum brake kit (910-31902 Disc Brake $349.00)

Tribute T steering column (910-32311 Alt PN)
Lightened Bomber seats (Pair)
Adjustable seat risers (2)
12-inch black steering wheel (910-32722 Alum Wheel)
Economy 12-circuit wiring harness
Interior Kit
Speedway six-gauge set (665-82227 5 Gauge Set $300)
Braille compact battery
Aluminum battery box
18-foot battery cable kit
Throttle pedal

S/B Ford dual-plane intake manifold
S/B Ford low-mount alternator bracket
S/B Ford engine-mount crossmember
S/B Ford lake-style headers
Header turnouts
Finned S/B Ford valve covers
Ford 1-wire chrome alternator
9 Super 7 dual carb kit (adapter, linkage, etc.)

Ford Racing billet V-pulleys 1-groove
Ford Racing water pump
Lokar Nostalgia shifter
Wheel powdercoat
Wheel mount and balance
Windshield
Driveshaft, balanced with U joints
Coker Firestone 500-16 ribbed tires (front) pair
Coker Firestone 8.90-16 grooved tires (rear) pair
Coker Hot Rod Steel 16×4.5-inch rims for hubcaps with 8¼-inch ID
Coker Hot Rod Steel 16×6-inch rims
Coker tubes rear pair
Coker tubes front pair
Coker hubcaps (4)
Trim rings (4)

Brake Master Cylinder

You say "18-foot battery cable kit" ... Where are you going to put the wiring center? Some put it under the dash, some under the seat. My battery lays down under the seat, battery is only 3.1 inches high.
Front Axel
Radiator Hoses
Radiator Clamps
Driveshaft
Driveshaft Loop
Sealers for Engine Assembly ???
Rod Ends or Equivalent (If not included in Suspension Purchase)
Dash
Gauges
Mufflers for Headers
BooKoos of Money !!!

Wow I'm running out of air, can someone else pick up where I left off ??? :(

Not me! You made me tired! Doesn’t Speedway offer a complete kit for one price? I can’t stack up enough money at one time but I would consider making a loan to get it all so I would not lose steam during the build.

Right on. Thanks for the feedback. I think my marriage would remain intact if I can piece the purchases together vs. a one time buy. She is tolerant of a few hundred/thousands every now and then, but it takes time for her to build up more tolerance after a purchase LOL. The checklist is to ensure I buy everything, and more importantly not buy the same thing twice.

I am building a list of parts I will need to build this car. . . Hopefully I can source some of this stuff from some donor parts/cars I find locally.
Good approach, Brian. Similar to mine. I studied T-buckets long and hard to develop an image of what I wanted, and built my parts list accordingly. Spreading the cost out over time certainly helps. And donor vehicles/parts are definitely a key to my build!

Wow, this reminds of the time I brought up building my dream engine for measly $7,000. Now
I'm not 25 yo, but more like 58 yo at that time. I explained to her how she would also
reap the benefits and I would no longer think about sex around her. Now that I've scared
her a few too many times, she is rethinking her decision ... hard to take it back now! hehehehehe !!!

BTW, I came in under budget.

So many one liners and .......

Fuel lines, pump, and fittings. Trans cooler if you're gonna use one. E-Brake (check local laws) Front and Rear Turn Signals, Turn Signal switch (nostalgia columns don't have them) Brake Tubing

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back