Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New in Memphis

Cowboysculptor

Hey gang!

After years of building motorcycles, which I’ve always called ‘poor man’s hot rodding’, and after doing some work on a ‘69 f100 before selling it, it’s time to make the leap I’ve always planned on. Got the green light from the wife, I’ve got space to work with, and a wee little amount of money to start with. So...

No need to reinvent the wheel for my first build, so I’m going to try to stay somewhat conventional. Anyway, that’s what I keep saying, but I know myself better than that. In truth, my plan is to build something with a long bed, at least 36”, mostly because I love the look of the old lakester pickups, but also because it should give me more room to hide stuff and because I like a slightly longer wheel base.

I’m 6’2”, but only 165 lbs, so I’m long and thin. My debate right now is getting a stretched T body, or save the cash and put it toward suspension parts. I’ve sat in standard T bodies, and it doesn’t seem impossible for me, but of course, sitting and driving are two different things.

I’d love any advice or ideas you guys might have, and I’d love to hear from anybody else in the Memphis area! Thanks in advance.

Peter

Welcome, Peter! I like your approach to your build. It will be important to crystallize as many features as you can that are "must have" versus those that are optional, and stick to it. And yes, there are ways to make a standard T body work for a taller person - higher seat riser, dropped footwells in the floor, etc. I don't have that problem, since I'm only 5' 4"!

1 a.jpg

Thanks Spanky. Yeah, I’ve seen some interesting “tall guy” features, including a body blister out the side for added foot room. By the way, I like the stance of your build. I like the spring behind the front axle for that extra drop.

One of my debates is how much to channel the body. I don’t like the look of a body perched up on the rails, but it would add a little room. Also, if I drop the frame low, I’m worried that it will kick the bed height up too high. (The rear axle can only go so low if that makes sense.) I think they look a little funny if the bed goes too far above the major body line. I may have to take things as they come.

I too am not a fan of the body on top of frame look. I am building my car with the firewall at bottom of the frame but the back of the body sitting on top of the frame. I’m close to mock-up so will have pictures soon. The body is a stretched Spirit body.

I have lots of pics I want to upload for inspiration, guess I’ll have to make 10 posts first.

I will say that I wish I could find a fiberglass ‘27 bucket body, all I can find is the coupe version. I just think the ‘27s have nicer lines than the ‘23. But like I said before: I’m going to try to reign myself in and not stray too far off the beaten path for my first build.

Peter

Spirit has one with doors!

I have the Spirit 27T super kit on order . . . should be shipping just after Thanksgiving . . . . .

I went with the '27 for the extra length and wheelbase, it has doors and latching rear deck lid, and I'm also partial to the more streamlined look of the 27.

It's also my first hot rod build, so having everything as a kit from 1 manufacturer, so it all fits together out of the box, is a plus.

Darlene

I’ve been looking at Spirit. I don’t think I described what I’m looking for properly. Spirit has a roadster body for a 27, but not the basic body with no back end. The kind you would put a pickup bed behind. Am I missing one?

Hey Darlene. Yeah, I’ve been looking at that body. It looks good, bit it’s not quite what I was looking for. It is tempting, though.

I’ve been looking at Spirit. I don’t think I described what I’m looking for properly. Spirit has a roadster body for a 27, but not the basic body with no back end. The kind you would put a pickup bed behind. Am I missing one?

What you're looking for (I think) is a '27 Roadster Pickup body - they're rare in steel, and I don't know of anyone making one out of fiberglass. Some have used a 27 touring body, chopped the back end off and added a pickup bed.

You guys are nailing it exactly! That link is perfectly what I want to build.

As far as Zipper goes, no prices. Is this one of those “if you have to ask” kinda things? I’m doing this one on a TIGHT budget. By the way, has anybody done a little work on the top body line of the ‘23? Raise it up a bit and make it less swoopy? Just curious.

Hey Darlene. Yeah, I’ve been looking at that body. It looks good, bit it’s not quite what I was looking for. It is tempting, though.

Yea, my bad . . . . I missed the pickup bed part . . . .

You might ask them about using an XL 23 body on a C cab frame . . . that would give you lots of room for a custom bed with a longer wheelbase than a regular 23.

Totally cool, I’m taking all the input I can get! I do plan on fabricating the frame myself. Darlene, I see that you live in the Virgin Islands. What is shipping for your Spirit kit going to be?! Being in Memphis, I’m about a four hour drive from Spirit so, big surprise, that’s the route I’m likely to go.

About a grand to Miami, and about $1250 from Miami to here.

Is it that much of a savings to fab your own frame, or more to have your personal tweaks just the way you want them?

If I was 4 hours away, I'd hitch up a U-Haul and make a road trip.

Having a jig welded frame with jig installed engine mounts and trans mount at the prices they show, seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Dang! Shipping hurts!

Their frames are pretty reasonable, but I do have some fabricating experience, and in the end I would have to do so many alterations to get what I want that I might as well start from scratch.

Sounds like DIY is best in your case . . .

Anytime you can do something yourself, it's worth a lot, just for the pride you feel from the accomplishment

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back