Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

newbe here,but a bit rusty

Hi Gang,
I always like anyone that builds there own stuff,looks like a great group so i'm a jumping in!
I'm Dana Barlow in Miami fl.,been here from 1942 on,did monter t shrits, stripping and name's on cars too pay for my own rod builds in the 50's /60's,
over the years did 3 t-buckets + lot of other rods & customs.
The more heads the better on ideas,so droped in to hear about and hopefully add to this groups head pool.

Welcome, I am not the offical greeter, but I welcome you anyhow. :)

Welcome to the forum most of the guys here make a lot of their own parts so I am sure you will get a lot of good information as well as a lot of questions looking foreward to hearing more from you Francis

Welcome aboard. I too am from Florida, Oviedo to be exact which is on the northeast side of Orlando.

Welcome! Glad to have another person to tell me how it was back then. I'm sure your knowledge will be a plus here.:)

I'm not sure about telling how it was,seems now days,many younger guys wish to think that perimer [flat]was a finsh,it was not here at lest,and rust and dents were something that needed fixing ASAP,, and they were fixed on all the rods that I saw or build around Fla. & Ga. anyway,plus shiny paint was the thing that looked nice. Could of been def out west,but the new "RAT" look is not for me .
My Highschool rod in 1959 was a 1928 "A" roadster,I bob tailed it,so I guess it could of been called a "A"bucket, kind of. Back then the new race car designs had what was called a "Cam" rear end body that was aero at the time.
I'm adding a photo of my rod then,with the T-brid 292 out at the time.

Welcome Dana, cool A

Welcome to the site Dana. We all know there is no substitute for the kind of experience you have. I, for one will be looking forward to picking your head.

Ron

"The Bat" out of hell said:
I'm not sure about telling how it was,seems now days,many younger guys wish to think that perimer [flat]was a finsh,it was not here at lest,and rust and dents were something that needed fixing ASAP,, and they were fixed on all the rods that I saw or build around Fla. & Ga. anyway,plus shiny paint was the thing that looked nice. Could of been def out west,but the new "RAT" look is not for me .
My Highschool rod in 1959 was a 1928 "A" roadster,I bob tailed it,so I guess it could of been called a "A"bucket, kind of. Back then the new race car designs had what was called a "Cam" rear end body that was aero at the time.
I'm adding a photo of my rod then,with the T-brid 292 out at the time.

It's always cool to see vintage hot rod pics. You can post those forever and I would check out every one. I had the pleasure of talking in length with an oldtimer and he basicly said the same thing you did. I can't embrace the rat rod fad, although I do understand the basic philosophy of doing the best with what you have. They seemed to have warped it quite a bit. But, to each his own.

LumenAl said:
Here's another unofficial welcome to the forum...

:lol:

so what motor did ya end up putting in this?

attachment.php

I used a T-Bird 292,it had lots of go,pull the front wheels off the ground if you were inclind.
Flatheads were still cool but overhead V8's were the new power brokers,Ford frist overhead V8,the Y-block was thought of as trick and cool V8 in the late 1950's a long with Cad and Olds and even Study V8's,by the 60's the Chev V8 had showed it's better power,Ford had done well with the big Block FE,but it was big and a bit harder to fit in anything small.
I still like these old Ford Y-blocks,but have raced Chev V8 for many years.:lol:

Hey 'Bat', check this out,

27rat002Small.jpg

This will be my first y-block build. Couldn't pass up the deal on this '56 low mile, factory rebuilt 292.

Ron

Re: New to the forum

hello to all. my first attempt ever at participating in any forum, however, I have been looking forward to meeting others with the same interest as I and to gain knowledge from others experiences with t's. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to participate. I have a 1923 t bucket that has only rear disk brakes and no brakes on the front motorcycle wheels. I am considering the purchase of a complete front disk brake kit but would like some advise on the best type and what I would specifically need.

Thank you for any information

sumner county 1148 said:
...front motorcycle wheels... I am considering the purchase of a complete front disk brake kit but would like some advise on the best type and what I would specifically need.

Thank you for any information

First off, let me welcome you to the forum... take some time in the forum and tell us a little about yourself!

As far as the front breaks goes... you want to stay with the motorcycle tires and rims, or not?

:D

Welcome to the site SC. Al forgot to tell you we need pictures of your T. You might include pics of your front wheels too. That would help determine what sort of brakes you need.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back