Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Odyssey Battery PC 680

Can I get the pros and cons of using the Oddysey PC 680 battery in my T-Bucket with a Chev 350?? Thanks!

Pros:You can mount them upside down,on there side and they will work just fine.
Cons:You dont get to put water in them.

There are no cons. Period. Cost a bit more but will outlast three or more lead-acid batteries so cheaper in the long run.

Pro's

very low self discharge, a year of sitting and will start your ride
highest cranking amps per pound
also can be deep cycled
can be charged a 2.0C, other lead acid limited to 0.1C
No corrision

Con's

PC 680 rated at 16a/hr, so you can't do long cranks, but if your engine is a hard starter, just get a bigger battery.

for the same amp/hr rating, cost about 4 times as much as a flooded lead acid battery

This AGM battery has been starting the T for 16 years.

DSC010221014x760.jpg

and these (4) in series can dump 35kw/hr into that motor, allowing my hot rod scooter to out pace my old Corvette to 40 mph.

DSC000021200x900.jpg

Bob

Pro's

very low self discharge, a year of sitting and will start your ride
highest cranking amps per pound
also can be deep cycled
can be charged a 2.0C, other lead acid limited to 0.1C
No corrision

Con's

PC 680 rated at 16a/hr, so you can't do long cranks, but if your engine is a hard starter, just get a bigger battery.

for the same amp/hr rating, cost about 4 times as much as a flooded lead acid battery

This AGM battery has been starting the T for 16 years.

How is that battery with the new 383?

The new 383 is 10.27 to 1 cr, so no problem. It is getting old at 16 years, but I want to see how long it will last so will run it till it lets me down. Since I have a manual tranny, I won't be left high and dry.

Bob

Real small. Won't run a big watt stereo for very long w/o engine running, but for our cars it is a perfect battery. Most of us don't have much as far as electrial loads, so all our batteries need is good cranking amps, and for that, these batteries will blow you away. Not to mention, where ever you mount this battery, it will not corrode its surroundings.

Bob

Real small. Won't run a big watt stereo for very long w/o engine running, but for our cars it is a perfect battery. Most of us don't have much as far as electrial loads, so all our batteries need is good cranking amps, and for that, these batteries will blow you away. Not to mention, where ever you mount this battery, it will not corrode its surroundings.

Bob

I heard these were now being made in Mexico and the quality had suffered. Also the lifetime guardsmen had been reduced to 2 years?
Gerry

I heard these were now being made in Mexico and the quality had suffered. Also the lifetime guardsmen had been reduced to 2 years?
Gerry
Don't know about Mexico, but since the electrolyte is a dry paste, wonder how they could screw it up. What is meant by "lifetime guardsmen"?

Bob

Gerry, I think that you may have confused the Odyssey with the Optima battery. There was an EXTENSIVE discussion on the H.A.M.B. about the extremely poor quality of the Optima batteries after they moved production to Mexico. I consider myself very lucky to have a USA made Optima but it is the last one I'll buy because I will NOT buy one from Mexico.

Jim

P.S. I made a quick check and found that Odyssey batteries are made in Warrensburg, Missouri, USA.

Gerry, I think that you may have confused the Odyssey with the Optima battery. There was an EXTENSIVE discussion on the H.A.M.B. about the extremely poor quality of the Optima batteries after they moved production to Mexico. I consider myself very lucky to have a USA made Optima but it is the last one I'll buy because I will NOT buy one from Mexico.

Jim

P.S. I made a quick check and found that Odyssey batteries are made in Warrensburg, Missouri, USA.

Jim
I think you are right. I went for a normal HIGH amp start battery because of all the stuff I read about Optimas. Might have a look for the Odyssey and see how pricey they are.
Thanks G

PS that was supposed to be lifetime Guarantee, not Guardsman. Technology fails agin and thank you Mr spell checker

Has anyone ever wondered how quickly our Tbucketeers forum pages start populating the search engines? And high quickly they raise in the ranks of searches? Well, this thread has moved up to the top of page 4 with google, when searched by the mis-spelled heading.

Bob

Gerry, you might be pleased to know that they are also made at Ener Sys Newport Facility Newport, Wales, United Kingdom.

Jim

Gerry, you might be pleased to know that they are also made at Ener Sys Newport Facility Newport, Wales, United Kingdom.

Jim

Wonder if they discount celts? (before anyone steps in thats the way we spell it)
G

Gerry, I bought an Odyssey for mine, so I can lay it down below the boot (trunk) floor, where the original lead acid one stood proud.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back