Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Oil Pressure sending unit

Jim B

The male threads on the sending unit are 5/16x24. The 350 Chevy block has a spot that would work perfect for the sending unit right above the oil filter on the drivers side of the engine. The threads in the block are 1/2x13. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the adapters I need to make this happen? I have been searching the net but have had no luck. Thanks in advance.

The best place for your sending unit is the threaded hole at the top/rear of the block near the distributor hole.
Note the indentation in the intake manifold adjacent to this hole.

17-power-train2-jpg.13553

Spanky, the manifold makes it very tight, no room to turn a bolt head. The distributor also makes it a tight, unsightly fit. If I can put it above the oil filter, it hides it better and fits better. But, on the other hand, if I cannot find some fittings to make this work, up top it will go. .

The best place for your sending unit is the threaded hole at the top/rear of the block near the distributor hole.
Note the indentation in the intake manifold adjacent to this hole.

17-power-train2-jpg.13553

Thats the correct place to have it. If there is no room, run a tube from there to the switch. Simple.

The male threads on the sending unit are 5/16x24. The 350 Chevy block has a spot that would work perfect for the sending unit right above the oil filter on the drivers side of the engine. The threads in the block are 1/2x13. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the adapters I need to make this happen? I have been searching the net but have had no luck. Thanks in advance.

That just seems a really odd size for a sending unit's threads . . . are you sure it's not 1/8 NPT.

Also the 1/2 x 13 . . . are you sure it's not 1/2 NPT, which is 14tpi or a blind tapped boss for a clutch linkage ball?

Any straight regular thread isn't going to have a way to seal, unless it's -AN with an O ring.

". . the manifold makes it very tight, no room to turn a bolt head. The distributor also makes it a tight, unsightly fit."

I use an adaptor similar to this one that raises the sender above the intake
and angles it away from the distributor.

s-l300.jpg

That just seems a really odd size for a sending unit's threads . . . are you sure it's not 1/8 NPT.

Also the 1/2 x 13 . . . are you sure it's not 1/2 NPT, which is 14tpi or a blind tapped boss for a clutch linkage ball?

Any straight regular thread isn't going to have a way to seal, unless it's -AN with an O ring.

Good call IG. I was going to try and use this little 90 degree adapter but perhaps that is making it too complicated. The sending unit is as you say.
sending unit.jpg

The oil port in the block above the filter really is 1/2X13 according to my thread checker.
size of oil port above filter.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I will move it topside and find the right adapters. Seems less complicated.

For a pressure sender source I'm using the oil pressure port that is directly above the filter on both of my 327's and on my 409. I don't remember what the thread is, but I imagine it is something NPT. In my case there isn't enough room for the sender to come straight out of the block, I had to 90 out of the port, add a short nipple and then screw on the sender.

I had the same problem but with the temp switch for the electric fan . says put as near to thermostat as possible , but my upper hose is in the way so i put it in the back and it never turns on so went with a on/off switch , but even in this Florida heat i haven't turned it on stays cool

Pressure sender above oil filter
20190725_093435_re.jpg

There is, but if I remember correctly the pressure reading at that one is low.

That front port is tapped into the oil line that feeds the main bearings. that's at the end after it feeds all the mains. The pressure would be lower, unless you have a hi-volume pump and/or a tight motor. I believe the older blocks have these, the"newer" ones don't. I'll have to check my "Chevy Power" book.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back