Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

OK, how about a Wiki

Mike

I've spent a bit of time with a Wiki add-on script for XenForo. I'm thinking it might work well to replace our old Tech Library format. One thing I really like is the system is set up to work very well with the search engines. Which means our article efforts would be more available to people searching for tech information.

wiki001.jpg

As you can see by the right-most arrow, when you're not having enough fun trying to do Web site work, you can always set up Apache, MySQL and PHP on your desktop computer, so you can test Web sites right there. I really need to get a life... :geek:

The left arrow is indicating the NavBar tab, that integrates the Wiki with all the pages on the XenForo site.

wiki002.jpg

That's a look at the index page of the Wiki. I would like to see category titles being a bit more noticeable, but the page is already pretty well-optimized and I don't want to fix what isn't already broken.

wiki003.jpg

I've entered the Engine and Driveline category and you can see the two articles available under that heading.

wiki004.jpg

And here, I'm actually viewing one of the articles. As you can see, the page titles are working nicely and you still have the native XenForo Navbar available.

wiki005.jpg

On the right of each Wiki page is a Navigation tool and a Wiki search tool.

wiki006.jpg

I even went ahead and edited the phrasing for the Wiki, to personalize it and make it a T-Bucket Wiki.

There is a downside. The Wiki articles are just that - articles. There is no implementation of any format for discussion on the articles. But I think there's a way around that issue.

We could return to the article submission forum, where members could submit new articles to a closed, members-only forum. I could then remove the article text from the forum post and post it into the Wiki, inserting a link at the end of the Wiki article, leading back to the forum post. I could then insert a link to the Wiki article in the forum post and move the post to the appropriate Technical Article forum.

If someone found the forum post, there would be a link to the Wiki article. If someone found the Wiki article first, there would be a link back to the original thread, where discussion of the Wiki article could take place.

What are your thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions?

I forgot that we are on a time zone adjusted thing so I see 234 is 434 in the east ..............

I don't think Wiki is used much by T Bucketheads.....I don't even know what it does or how to use it so that is why I did not have anything 'smart' or otherwuse to say about Wiki..............

Mike

I don't think Wiki is used much by T Bucketheads.....I don't even know what it does or how to use it so that is why I did not have anything 'smart' or otherwuse to say about Wiki..............
Everybody ends up using Wikipedia, at some point or another. It is the "absolute" *cough, cough* information authority in the world.

OK, maybe it's not so absolute, after all. But everyone uses it, nearly everyday.

I have my hands on a script that would allow us to have our own T-Bucket Wiki, just meaning we could store technical articles in a Wikipedia-style format.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back