Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Over flow tank

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Been thinking about the tank a while. I really don't want to mount it to the radiator so am thinking of the firewall. The distance shouldn't matter should it? The expanded water pushes out to the tank then as it cools is pulled back to the radiator, right? BUT...my over active mind says... the vacuum when cooling might not be strong enough for the distance so over many cycles it would just lose water through the overflow tube. I just don't KNOW. Is this one of those "try it and see" things?

Doesn't really matter as long as the reservoir/tubing is higher than the radiator at that long of a distance. Ford use to have rubber bags on the fender wells.

But mounted to the radiator on the side or between the radiator and engine is the most logical location.Some have Jack Daniels bottles mounted to frame by the radiator just as an over flow catch, but not really for putting fluid back into radiator.

Doesn't the rad. pressure cap act like a check valve? So, if you put something like a Moon tank in front, between the rails, and as long as the hose from the rad. stays below the coolant level in the Moon tank, won't that work??

I don't understand why the hose or the o-f tank needs to be higher or lower than the rad. The coolent expands and contracts. Push and pull..does it matter. 'course that old physics might mess with it. I think the tank at the rad looks a little bulky maybe. Think Ill just temp it in a couple places for the eye, then wherever, try it and see the results. Asked so as to not waste time on a no-no.

I think the stainless tubes don’t look to bad. I may make one out of 1 1/2” tube and paint it to match the radiator shell and you won’t even notice it.

Traditional cooling systems with simple 6-8 psi radiator caps do not use a active coolant resevour. They just used a hose to direct the coolant down and under the car in case of a overheat/overflow. They progressed to a simple catch can type overflow tank, but it was a one way street, so to speak. I have none on mine, just a hose going down the side of the radiator. I’ve seen various cool items used like stated above... beverage bottles, etc.

Skinny, put your tank wherever you like. As long as it has some coolant in it when cold, it will take the hot overflow and then the rad will suck it back. If the tank runs dry, you might want a bigger tank. Or, as fletch says, just a tube to the ground is good if you have no overheating problems. I'm OCD and have a really big tank, I think about 2 quarts.

I have a 16 oz Miller lite can & it seems to work pretty well.

Appreciate the replies. It was puking water when I got it home after buying it. So am working on that and other issues. Slow, I'm slower than I wuz.

If it was puking, it was likely hot. I would focus on making it run cool before worrying about a overflow tank. Could be as simple as a bad radiator cap, thermostat, etc... There are also various expansion tank options, if you decide that it’s necessary. I’ve seen them that mount on the intake manifold, etc...

Oh yeah . Seller said it didn't overheat. Did! Was over 220, by the guage, and dumped a bit in the garage. Got a new rad, thermos, flushing the block. The overflow tank is to keep water off the floor. Wanna keep it clean.

I get nervous if anything I drive gets to 220. 200 is the high end of my comfort zone. I run 180 thermostats and try to get things synchronized to keep it in check. I’ve got stuck in traffic on a hot day after running hard and exceeded, but that was a rare deal. My first serious job was at a shop that recored radiators, rebuilt starters, generators, general mechanical, a/c, etc... I learned to be very aware of temp due to routinely repairing the effects of overheating. Very bad things can happen in a very short time... once you get things worked out, there really should not be any overflow, there is supposed to be ample space in the radiator to allow for thermal expansion within normal conditions. Have you pressure tested your system to check for leaking gaskets, etc? I use a regulator and compressed air for mine, but there are kits with pumps. A useful tool to have.

I run at 210° all day. I once turned off the fans to see where the overheating (steam and water puking, temp zooming) occurred; for me it was 250°, so I know now how much headroom I have. But you can get any temp you want with bigger water pump, more fan, more radiator, etc. Read this super secret paper: Cooling secrets

Whiskey bottles seem to be used a lot. When I figure out how to upload pictures I can show my my setup. It a custom made container mounted behind the radiator.

This is an old post but here are some pictures of my overflow. I am not sure if my father made if or bought it. I have an upload button now. Nice

Attachments

• overflow1.jpg
    overflow1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Overflow3.jpg
    Overflow3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 49
That is a very detailed build. The radiator support and hoses are very impressive. I think the overflow tank was commercially available from the Deuce Factory. Looks like a fairly recent build. That much detail was very rare in the “good old days”! Lol

My father build the brackets. He was a very detailed person(Tool and Die maker). I think he bought the overflow tank. If he did buy it, I have not figured out from where. Yet

He originally built it in the last 60's. Then completely tore it apart in the 90's.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back