Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

overheating problem

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Finished installing my new heads, intake, and EFI.
Now it overheats.
It's got to be air stuck in the block.
This happened to me before. My friend told me to remove the plug on the side of the block and let the air and anti. out until no more air. That worked.
This time. I removed the plug from the side of the block and I get nothing but a drip of anti..
If I remove a plug from the intake. It is full of anti. and the raditor is full too.
I also tried the jacking the front up high thing get the air out. But no luck.

oh ya. Don't know if it matters. But I removed the plug from the drives side of the block.

Last edited:
Chris, I know it is frustrating to get a car back together and have something mess up.

So, back to basics. Are the heads, manifold and EFI all from the same manufacturer? Perhaps Edelbrock? If not, could you refresh my memory about the build?

Are all the gaskets compatible? Head gaskets and manifold gaskets? Do they match the coolant passages in the block and heads?

Something about what you said having to do with releasing air by opening up a valve in the side of the block does not sound right. That is not the highest point in the cooling system and the highest point would be where the air bubble is and where you would have to open to let the trapped air out. Are you running a thermostat supplied by the EFI supplier or are you running a an inexpensive thermostat from the FAR EAST? Also have you drilled four equidistant holes in the perimeter of the thermostat to let the trapped air run past?

Again, do you have the right head gaskets ??

Also, could you send us a picture of the engine/radiator assembly as it sits? A profile shot would be nice.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you, John.

Also might want to check for proper install of thermostat. I know you know the right direction but things happen. Good luck

Also might want to check for proper install of thermostat. I know you know the right direction but things happen. Good luck

Just finished checking if the thermostat was in right.
yep it is.

John: yes I have the right head gaskets.
I know opening the plug on the side of the block don't seem right. I didn't think it would work the last time I did it. My friend Joe is told me to do it. I thought he was nuts. But it worked.
Didn't work this time.

When's the last time you had that plug out / It's not unusual for the opening to be corroded shut behind the plug , take a stiff piece of wire & jab it in there [after it's cooled off] & also try the other side plug .

dave

The thermostat. what better 180 or 160?
I really only drive it on warm or hot days. Maybe I should change it to a 160.

You should be fine w/180* stat , for future reference , drill an 1/8" hole in the stat rim & pour your coolant VERY SLOWLY , that will help to prevent air locks .
dave
you were careful not to get gasket scrap down in your coolant passages , right?

You should be fine w/180* stat , for future reference , drill an 1/8" hole in the stat rim & pour your coolant VERY SLOWLY , that will help to prevent air locks .
dave
you were careful not to get gasket scrap down in your coolant passages , right?

yep.

I'm been reading about the 1/8 hole thing. Getting mixed reactions on that.

I got the thermostat out. Hole drilled. Testing to make sure it works.
Then back in the car it goes.

Just because a thermostat is new doesn't necessary mean its working, I have several cooking thermos that I can put in a pot, get it up to 185 or so and see if it opens. Then after it opens, take it off the fire to see if it closes....if all is OK, Install it.
Also, just take the thermo out to add water/coolant mix very slowly, when its about to runnith over, put your housing and hose on. Top off the radiator, start the motor and let it idle WITH the radiator cap off. Stand there patiently, with a flashlight, looking down into the radiator. When the thermostat opens, you'll see the water start to be pumped thru at a fairly fast rate. As the temp gets up to operating, start squeezing on the top radiator hose. Usually this will pop the bubble so to speak.
Did you match up the coolant holes in the head with the holes in the head gaskets? Sometimes they are restricted. This is usually a last resort, looking to the head gasket thing. If you aren't careful on the old flatheads, you could actually burn a motor up....

Did you match up the coolant holes in the head with the holes in the head gaskets? Sometimes they are restricted. This is usually a last resort, looking to the head gasket thing. If you aren't careful on the old flatheads, you could actually burn a motor up....

yep I did.

k. t-stat tested. GOOD :)
I got it reinstalled. But damn it's hot and humid. No a/c in the garage. It's like a sauna in there. It's a 107 out side.
So I'm on break.
I'll test and repost in a bit.

Well that didn't..
Didn't make any difference.
The top radiator hose get hot and hard. Same with the bottem hose.

What does your temp gauge read ..... did you ever get fluid out the bottom of the block..... let it cool off & check the level again..

dave

Problem started when you installed new heads and gaskets........On the SB ford if ya install the gaskets backward they still line up with the bolts but not all of the coolant passages and it will run hot no matter what else you do. Hate recommend this but pull heads and check for proper gasket install. Hope you find the problem first.

What does your temp gauge read ..... did you ever get fluid out the bottom of the block..... let it cool off & check the level again..

dave

Just finished checking the bottem of the block on the driver side. Fluid came out.
I closed it back up and refilled the radiator and tried again. Nope still over heating.

The temp gauge in the head gets close to 200 then I turned off the car. But the reading from the efi temp gauge got to 143.
Then after I turn it off. The efi gauge catches up and turns on the fan. I don't think the thermostat is opening.
I changed the fan on temp to 175 until I get this problem fixed.

Problem started when you installed new heads and gaskets........On the SB ford if ya install the gaskets backward they still line up with the bolts but not all of the coolant passages and it will run hot no matter what else you do. Hate recommend this but pull heads and check for proper gasket install. Hope you find the problem first.

I when and looked it up. I used fel-pro gaskets. It had a striped and non-spriped side. I put the striped side up.

Chris, can you leave the thermostat out? Will the EFI work properly without it? Also, What type of temp gauge do you have and where is it plumbed into the engine. If electric, check the sending unit & and the gauge it self.
Didn't say what heads, manifold, and EFI unit you have.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back