Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Pipe" for radiator hoses

Keeper

What type of pipe can be used for rad hoses? I need to cut/splice together the lower rad hose.

I looked for 1 3/4 copper, but there is no such animal! I thought of just cast iron pipe, but its to heavy and would probably kill the hose in short order. Others have recommended drain pipe for sinks, but I cannot find it in the correct size.

So besides buying a "One size fits all" hose. Whats everyone using?

What type of pipe can be used for rad hoses? I need to cut/splice together the lower rad hose.

I looked for 1 3/4 copper, but there is no such animal! I thought of just cast iron pipe, but its to heavy and would probably kill the hose in short order. Others have recommended drain pipe for sinks, but I cannot find it in the correct size.

So besides buying a "One size fits all" hose. Whats everyone using?
Ex-Junk used sink drain pipe from Home Depot.Which is chrome plated copper or brass.His looks sweet.

On our race car we used some coated exhaust tubing that we got at a muffler shop for free out of the scrap bin.

Jim

I used a piece of exhaust tubing in exactly the same way , worked fine for 2 or3 years till I went to the chrome -flex type hoses, after I saved my quarters.

dave

sweet. I was not sure the exhaust stuff would hold up to the chemicals.

Good to know, its cheap :D

I've used ex tubing on several of my off topic cars as well as the Northstar T. the oldest one, that I still own, is ~ 8 years old and no sign of rust or corosion. the trick is to make sure you get the aluminized exhaust tubing and not the cheepy straight steel variety. if you're unsure, wash any oil off of it and then twist your hands over a piece a few times. if your hands turn black it's aluminized tubing :rolleyes:

Russ

I used exhaust J-bends to make mine. I felt the turns were too tight on my lower hose for rubber. I did machine some beaded rings that I welded on the ends for hose retention.

Speedway sells some molded silicone hoses in various sizes and bends. I used these for the short connection hoses and used a 45* piece for the upper hose.

Mike

there was an article many years ago in American Rodder about bending exhaust tubing for radiator hoses. Cut some round disc out of sheetmetal and tack to one end of the tube. Fill and pound with DRY sand then shape a wooden plug and pound into the other end. I would pound the sand tight and tack on another sheetmetal end. I don't trust the wood plug staying. Heat up the tube where you want to bend and the packed sand makes it keep the shape of the tubing and not collapsing. You have to make sure the sand is dry. Any moisture and it will turn to steam and blow out the plug. They also suggested bead rolling the ends to keep the rubber ends from blowing off if you happen to run hot and overheat.

Or you could get some SS J bends and make it that way.

I only need a 3 inch straight section of pipe. I have the bends in the hose already.

I took a coat hanger, made a template then went down to my friendly carquest store where we opened up the books and started looking for a match.

For the upper hose, I found a hose that after I trimmed 2 inches off the end, looks like it was made for it. Here is the pic of it installed.

31%20May%202011%20001.JPG_595.jpg

For the lower hose, I have a hose with the correct bends, but I need to trim a few inches out of the middle, thats why I need the pipe.

I only need a 3 inch straight section of pipe. I have the bends in the hose already.

I took a coat hanger, made a template then went down to my friendly carquest store where we opened up the books and started looking for a match.

For the upper hose, I found a hose that after I trimmed 2 inches off the end, looks like it was made for it. Here is the pic of it installed.

31%20May%202011%20001.JPG_595.jpg

For the lower hose, I have a hose with the correct bends, but I need to trim a few inches out of the middle, thats why I need the pipe.

Keeper, here is a picture of what Rick was referring to when he mentioned my car, check it out.

IMG_3040.jpg

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back