Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

@ PotvinGuy, Indycars, or anyone - electrical help please

choppinczech

First off, let me say that I'm an electrical illiterate. I'm a completely 'visual' person. Once I get it, I'm fine. But I need to be able to see it in my head.

How can I use this 12v 10 amp, two position keyed switch-

Ign switch.jpg

-to then use this 12v momentary push button as a starter switch?

push button.jpg

I would think that we would need to know what type of of starter system you are wiring the car for.
Is it the typical Chevrolet starter system with solenoid or the Ford system with a remote solenoid?
Could you supply us with the ignition switch part number and manufacturer?
Also the starter button part number and manufacturer?
By two position does that mean simply on/off? Wouldn't you like to have an accessory position also?
Also info on the rest of the electrical system should be supplied. Battery, alternator, accessories, towing?, type of lights, etc.

Didn't think we'd let you off easy did you?

John

By two position does that mean simply on/off?

Ditto, more details please. From the camera perspective, I can't tell if there is only two connections for the first switch. Looks like to me, you are going to need another switch if there is only two connections.

You have to supply power to both the starter and the ignition coil somehow for the engine to start.

Last edited:
For starters, a 10 amp switch is too low a rating unless you use it to control a relay. Here is a basic circuit for what you want to do given what little you've told us. OK...how do I get a pic on here???

If yhe keyed switch is simply on/off ,then fused 12 volt source on 1 side , other side to ign. , same w/momentary switch , 12volt source to 1 side , other side to starter solenoid. Keyed switch motor on , motor off..... pushbutton , engage starter...
dave

Ok. I'm just in the planning stages for my dash. I want a keyed switch to juice everything up, and a row of these LED push button switches for the fan, fuel pump, headlights, etc. I'm planning to use a wiring harness from Painless or Ron Francis.

A typical Chevy starter with solenoid.
This On/Off switch is Cole Hersee M489bp. Maybe I do need a 3 position instead for accessories.
These LED button switches are all coming from China. It's similar to the Keep it Clean's 19mm buttons with a 5 pin socket. All I see in the ratings is to use a relay above 3 amps.
socket.jpg

Small Braille B2015 battery under the dash.
100 amp alternator?
Radiator fan. (Says draws 10 amps)
Fuel pump.
Maybe electric water pump.

You don't want headlites or tailights thru the ign. switch . you don't want the horn thru the switch. You do want turn signals , fan, ign. fuel pump thru the switch. You can use relays to energize any/all circuits so a low load switch can handle a high load circuit/s ..
dave
I personally would not recomend an electric WP on the street

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate them.

You don't want headlites or tailights thru the ign. switch . you don't want the horn thru the switch. You do want turn signals , fan, ign. fuel pump thru the switch. You can use relays to energize any/all circuits so a low load switch can handle a high load circuit/s ..
dave
I personally would not recomend an electric WP on the street

10-4

I deleted all the circuits that didn't apply to your question. Most of my circuits are relay controlled as you will notice in the wiring diagram.

I did leave the Anti-Theft switch in the circuit, that along with the FP switch are required to start the car and drive it very far. I also have a fuel shutoff ball valve. That will NOT keep them from pushing it onto a trailer and stealing the car thou.

All of a sudden I can't upload files, there is NO button. So sorry, I was going to upload a pic of the wiring diagram. If it gets fixed I will upload at a later date. I might be able to PM the wiring diagram if you like.

I deleted all the circuits that didn't apply to your question. Most of my circuits are relay controlled as you will notice in the wiring diagram.

I did leave the Anti-Theft switch in the circuit, that along with the FP switch are required to start the car and drive it very far. I also have a fuel shutoff ball valve. That will NOT keep them from pushing it onto a trailer and stealing the car thou.

All of a sudden I can't upload files, there is NO button. So sorry, I was going to upload a pic of the wiring diagram. If it gets fixed I will upload at a later date. I might be able to PM the wiring diagram if you like.

Try downloading to Photobucket and then uploading to here.

Jimk

A little further info , atypical chev solenoid pulls 5-7 amps , chev. ran 16 ga. wire to them , 30 amp relays draw 3 miliamp , I'm not a fan of running large wires long distances , try to locate your relays close to what it's powering & close to the source , you can run small ga. control wires a long way more easily . Fuse all supply lines , either fusible links or line fuses , again big wire , short run...
dave

Try downloading to Photobucket and then uploading to here.

Jimk

I prefer the other way. Besides it suppose to work.

If I move or rename a file then the next person reading will have to go without
the 1000 words if represents!

Oh that's great! Thanks.

ChoppinczechStartCircuit.jpg

I also stumbled onto AutoLoc's schematics. They sell these Chinese made switches too, call'em something else, and jack up the price by 400%

LED button wiring diagrams.jpg

Glad you liked it ..... good idea to post it so everyone can see it without downloading.

Those lighted buttons: make sure you get latching for the things you want to turn on/off, and momentary for starter, horn, etc. Sparkfun has them in 16mm for $4.95, so don't get clipped at one of the speed shops. Do you want the ring light on all the time, or just when the associated function is on? Lotsa ways to configure this. Make a list of all the functions you think you'll have; it'll help us.

I've been running an electric water pump for 20 years. They used to be for racing only, but now there are many designed for street. Keeps flow rate constant even if you're sitting at idle; good for temp control. Bonus: a timer keeps it and the fans going for a minute after the motor shuts off to draw heat out.

With a bit of research I found some black switches with sockets for pretty cheap on ebay out of LA. All 19mm. The 16mm are a bit small for my finger tips.

A red momentary for the starter.
And a blue, green and white latching.

The white for headlights. Not sure on the others.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back