Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radiator hose size on long neck chrome water pump

I think the stock hose diameter for Gen 1 small block Chevys is 1-1/2". Does this help?

Top hose out of thermostat is 1-1/2", bottom hose into the water pump is 1-3/4"

I think that’s top hose. Lower hose is 1 3/4 I think.
The bottom water pump hose end is bigger than the top, most are 1.75”, but some are 2”. The top should be 1.5”, the bottom may require a hose with different sizes inlets for the water pump and the radiator. Best to just measure it to be sure. Who knows what water pump might be on it. One never knows what parts were used to make it work. You can use long or short style pumps, whichever works best for the project, just be sure that you have the correct flow. I had a 305roller cam engine that I rebuilt, bought a new water pump that was supposed to be a reversed flow and ended up with the wrong one.... I had to tear it back down and have my fresh machined heads remachined.... I was not happy.... but I wasn’t paying attention while it was breaking in, assumed everything being new was ok.... lesson learned.

Hey Guys,

It is 1 3/4" on the bottom. I try the new hose 1 3/4" I pick up and it fit perfect. The top hose on top was 1 1/2" and it also fit perfect.

Thanks Again, Guys

I would like to hear more about your experience with those heat shrink clamps.

Wish I could give you some feedback, but I've always used the screw clamps or T-Bolt
clamps. I was only suggesting another type of clamp as an option. I've always shied
away from them because I didn't think I could find any if I had a problem on a trip. I
suppose you could just buy regular clamps if needed thou.

Mark be careful with the heat shrink clamps cause if they start to leak you will not like them. You will have to have a hose to replace them with unless you are in a big enough town to find some replacements for them & have a heat gun...........Just use clamps and some nice hose........don't ask me how I know...

Mark be careful with the heat shrink clamps cause if they start to leak you will not like them. You will have to have a hose to replace them with unless you are in a big enough town to find some replacements for them & have a heat gun...........Just use clamps and some nice hose........don't ask me how I know...
What if you had a steel pipe butted up to the radiator outlet / inlet, and used the heat shrink clamp to connect the two. In a pinch, if it leaked could you put a hose clamp on each end of the heat shrink to fix it?

The two cars that I had some problems the shrink clamp would not have held a clamp. They both split.....The ends of the pipes & the radiator were pretty close also.....

Mike,

I appreciate the advice. However, before yesterday I had never heard of a heat shrink clamp. That is why I asked to hear more about the forum members experiences with them. :):):)

Mike,

I appreciate the advice. However, before yesterday I had never heard of a heat shrink clamp. That is why I asked to hear more about the forum members experiences with them. :):):)

I've had the heat shrink clamps on my '37 Chevy since '03 with no problems. On my T I used the conventual band clamps.

Jim

Jim I am sure there are some instances that they work fine or else they would quit selling that type of clamp. Mark asked for some real world info so I gave mine and now you have given yours so all is good I guess......It is now up to him to decide.......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back