Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Raised Vega Pittman Arm

Rip VW

Ok I ran into a problem with locating my Vega Steering box. In order to make things fit and correctly installed it seems I would need a Pittman arm that is raised about 2 inches and it seems like there is no 2" raised arms out there available. I have a flat arm but to get the drag link parallel at ride height I need something that is raised 2 inches. I can't move the steering box because it interferes with the motor mount so that is out. I can't bend my flat arm as that would in effect shorten the arm and I lose some steering travel. I can get a 2 inch drop arm but you can NOT flip the arm because of the pitman shaft splines are tapered and won't have complete engagement. I did see a 1" raised arm through P&J's. I need at least 2" and at $112.00 a copy I would rather find what I need before paying so much for an arm that may or may not do the job?

So let me ask all the vega cross steer experts and non experts how is your Pittman arm set up and how is your axle setup. My front axle is a 4" dropped SuperBell with 4 link suspension and of course my frame is a 32 Ford Style frame using the dropped front crossmember so the axle is closer to the center of the frame than usual and my tie rods are attached to dropped steering arms to clear the 4 links.

Let me know how you are set up..:cool:

I can get a 2 inch drop arm but you can NOT flip the arm because of the pitman shaft splines are tapered and won't have complete engagement.

If you can do it or know a really good welder in your area you could get a 2" dropped one in plain steel. Cut the tapered splined boss off and flip it over.

It sounds iffy. But if done correctly with preheat and good penetration it would be fine.

I'd consider Magnafluxing afterward.

I cut and TIG welded mine back together to give it an offset to clear the frame. 40 years later, still going strong.

Well I went back to the shop and did some more figuring and I think I can make the 1" raised Pittman arm work for my situation. Pete and Jakes has a 1" raised Pittman arm. I initially rejected that as I wanted a 2" and nobody makes one. I am not confident in my welding skills to cut and weld the arm back so I decided to see if a 1 inch would get me close to where I want. I went looking again and I was able to pick up one on FleBay. The part should be here by late next week. Lets see if it comes true. With the new motor mounts I should have room for the steering shaft to fit through and the steering box location will get me close. ( another compromise) and the 1 inch raised pittman arm should position the drag link within reasonable alignment of the tie rod and keep any bump steer to a minimum. I am guardedly optimistic!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back