Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

registering in California

PotvinGuy

Staff member
How does one register a hot rod in CA? Do they have a category for us? What are the rules? And do we have to pass a smog test?

We're all leaving in droves to the Red states.

C'mon over to Missouri. We've got lotsa room and great T-buckets!

Desoto3.jpg

file.php

Last edited:
I was almost sent to CA in 2010. Wifey was with 3M and they said we were going to either LA or MSP. I was terrified that it might be LA, but we got lucky.
I had seen a case on Judge Judy where a plaintiff said it was illegal to sell a car in CA without a smog certification and was wondering how we got around that. I just checked and if the car is 1975 or older it does not need a smog certificate.

The SB100 program allows 500 vehicles per year to be smog exempt. The vehicles have to be original or replications of older automobiles. The vehicles have to use pre-smogged ( California designated ) powerplants. The state of California classifies these vehicles as , " NEW CONSTRUCTION ". The SB100 program is ran by B.A.R ( bureau of auto repair ). You have to call them to see if there are openings still available. If there are empty openings available , you set up an appointment with them. Bring purchase receipts ( car's body , engine , transmission & differential ). These receipts are mainly for the purpose of ruling out theft. There will also be a mandatory headlight & brake inspection because of the original classification ( new construction ) of your SB100 vehicle. The kit car world classifies the SB100 qualified vehicles as , " REPLICARS ". A T bucket , 32 ford , 40 ford , 55 thunderbird ( made of steel or fiberglass ) are replicars. Hope this helps.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back