Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Routing of Wires?

Lucas1923t

Hi Everyone! I'm getting ready to wire up my T and i was wondering if you guys run your wires in your frame or on the out side. I was thnking of running mine inside the frame for neater look but I didn't know if that was common practice.... Really it would be just the headlight wires, engine wires and taillight wires. Thanks again for your help!

I'm running the front and rear light harnesses inside the frame with a plug connection to the firewall. Engine harness will plug into the firewall. The main harness under the dash will have two connectors at the firewall. The panel harness will plug into the main harness. The steering column will plug into the main harness. I have drawings in my gallery. These are not up to date since I've made some improvements. Send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send you current drawings. Let me know if you have access to a CAD system; I can send DXF files. Running wires in the frame is common on these cars.

When building the frame from the start, this is where you have already decided to run the wires inside the frame and install metal conduit (welded at both ends) don't want and loose parts floating around to drive you crazy later... Or; as an after thought, I cut holes in the center of the frame at the points on entry and exit, and run a length of water hose through that area to keep the wires from getting cut by anything inside the frame, then fold a long piece of wire or use a stock wire puller used in home building to get all the wires pulled through.. make your connections and then install a black plastic hole plug the close the big hole, leaving all the wires inside the frame, except where you want the headlight wire holder tube to enter the top? or side of the frame, mine is on the top... also when exiting the frame at the firewall area, and the wires will be coming through the plug, you first must cut the plug from one side to the middle and cut out to the size of the wire bundle, or you could use a stock wire grommet at that point, but I have found the bigger plug is easier to work with... I will look to see if I still have a box of those plugs and give you a part number, they are made to fit different size holes, I use 1 1/4" cut with a hole saw and smoothed with a hand file, inside and out edges... :)

When building the frame from the start, this is where you have already decided to run the wires inside the frame and install metal conduit (welded at both ends) don't want and loose parts floating around to drive you crazy later... Or; as an after thought, I cut holes in the center of the frame at the points on entry and exit, and run a length of water hose through that area to keep the wires from getting cut by anything inside the frame, then fold a long piece of wire or use a stock wire puller used in home building to get all the wires pulled through.. make your connections and then install a black plastic hole plug the close the big hole, leaving all the wires inside the frame, except where you want the headlight wire holder tube to enter the top? or side of the frame, mine is on the top... also when exiting the frame at the firewall area, and the wires will be coming through the plug, you first must cut the plug from one side to the middle and cut out to the size of the wire bundle, or you could use a stock wire grommet at that point, but I have found the bigger plug is easier to work with... I will look to see if I still have a box of those plugs and give you a part number, they are made to fit different size holes, I use 1 1/4" cut with a hole saw and smoothed with a hand file, inside and out edges... :)

Well I find that my memory SUCKS lately!! the main hole in the frame is 1 1/2" and the plastic plug button fits frame thickness from .037 to .100 , but they work fine on .120 (my frame is 2x3x.120 wall) old style, still working great by the way... When using these in a later bigger frame, 2x3x .188 or 3/16" I filed the inside of the hole to get them to stick in there better... here is the web page to go see the product... I still have some of the box of 100... :) http://auveco.com/eSource/ecom/common/prodesc/pdf/131.pdf

One thing that you should be aware of when routing your wiring through the frame, beside the chafing of the wire inside the frame and at the entry and exiting points, is water intrusion into the frame. This can cause rusting of the frame from the inside. NOT GOOD!

Jim

I always try and remember to drill two small drain holes on each side, in the very front of the frame, do it before the front cross member gets welded in so that the holes can be counter sunk a bit, makes for a much easier exit for any thing that may sneek in there, but if you use some good old Dumb Dumb around any open/non-sealed holes, the water will not make it in, and I don't drive in that deep of water if I can possibly help it... hehe :)

I always try and remember to drill two small drain holes on each side, in the very front of the frame, do it before the front cross member gets welded in so that the holes can be counter sunk a bit, makes for a much easier exit for any thing that may sneek in there, but if you use some good old Dumb Dumb around any open/non-sealed holes, the water will not make it in, and I don't drive in that deep of water if I can possibly help it... hehe :)
like some of the others said they will rub together and create a short i had this happen on a rock trailer i used to own. now with that said i ran aroud 500 to 600 miles a day and it took two years and raised and lowerd about 4 times a day. i ran mine outside in loom and bolted to the frame

When I built my car, all the wiring went inside the frame rails via multi-pin mil-style connectors, or just grommets for one or two wires. Then the wiring exited under the dash and under the seat to all the electric stuff. Now I'm getting set to rewire the whole car (no problems, I'm just bored and have new ideas). Getting rid of most connectors (pain to terminate and add to) except for small harness to engine EFI sensors and existing connectors to tail lights. New wiring will just come up thru big holes in frame rail tops to new electrical panel under seat. Thinking of mini-fuses or circuit breakers. Anyone have any experience with either of those?

T%20electrical%20panel%201.jpg

...the firewall electrical panel; note black connectors bottom each side to frame rail mate.

the last time I rewired the front half I ran the wires inside the frame. I wrapped the wires with that plastic wraparound loom stuff from the autoparts store. Then I wrapped that with duct tape. I definently did not want the wires rubbing against the inside of the frame, chafe the insulation, and short out. Got two sets of wires run in the frame. Left side has headlight and alt wires. Right side has headlight and fan wires

Hi Everyone! I'm getting ready to wire up my T and i was wondering if you guys run your wires in your frame or on the out side. I was thnking of running mine inside the frame for neater look but I didn't know if that was common practice.... Really it would be just the headlight wires, engine wires and taillight wires. Thanks again for your help!
I ran all my wires and brake lines inside my frame. Use rubber gromets in the frame to protect the wire,s.

the last time I rewired the front half I ran the wires inside the frame. I wrapped the wires with that plastic wraparound loom stuff from the autoparts store. Then I wrapped that with duct tape. I definently did not want the wires rubbing against the inside of the frame, chafe the insulation, and short out. Got two sets of wires run in the frame. Left side has headlight and alt wires. Right side has headlight and fan wires

That sounds like a good plan, especially if the alt. is mounted low-- can make for a real clean install. I think it is a real art to make exposed wires look neat and not stand out/camoflage is good there, except I personally think spark plug wires done right can really enhance a T's engine, my .02 only

sstock, here is an example of exposed wiring on the engine along with the plug wires.

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

Why hide neat wiring? It should be part of the "mechine" look of a hot rod.

Jim

Very nice indeed.
I can appreciate the amount of time work it takes to make a wiring job sanitary.

I started out that way, but over time and miles I started hiding ALL the wires and plug wires as they did nothing the help the overall look of my ride... Driving so much and everyday, things tend to get dirty, and I am not one to spend a lot of time polishing and cleaning under and engine parts other than top stuff like valve covers and blower case, and most of that is painted Black, between the fins, blower and covers... I even keep the plug wires down under and inside Black fuel tubing, because my engine building friend showed me where those wires can bleed, from one wire to another if clamped together... Makes it simple to look at... But I envy all you folks that keep your cars that clean, all over and under... I look at it this way myself. I love to watch a good race Horse or car, but I would not want to own one...

sstock, here is an example of exposed wiring on the engine along with the plug wires.

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

Why hide neat wiring? It should be part of the "mechine" look of a hot rod.

Jim
Hey Junk, what are those slick valve covers?

Now Jim, you should disclose that you were a Master Electrician with General Motors for, what was it, 36 years?

Check Del City for all kinds of electrical parts. I use their trailer connectors in my car; cheap, sturdy, high amps, already terminated.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back