Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shop Improvement

Indycars

After 37 years it was time to replace my original wooden garage door. Maybe 12 years
ago I had to build another lower panel to replace the old one that was falling apart. I
debated on having windows, but I wanted the extra light it would provide during the day.
They are thermopane, so I won't take too much of ding on the insulating properties.
The first few times I entered the garage, I thought "Oh My God, I left the door open!".
No, it was just the windows.

It took a couple of months to get what I wanted, but it was worth it !!!

GARAGA Garage Doors & Overheard Doors | Easy Choice & Styles

Manufacture: Garaga
Model: Standard+, Prestige XL
Quantity: 1
Size: 16' 0" x 7' 0" (width x height)
Sections: 1¾"-thick galvanized steel, insulation R-16
26-gauge galvanized steel, woodgrain finish; Each section is built with solid mechanical interlocking joint using triple contact InterLok
weatherstripping. Pressure-injected polyurethane foam insulation.
Color: Charcoal
Windows: Thermopane - Decorative inserts Prairie (40" X 13")
Sealed thermal glass inserted into a polypropylene frame; windows are thermopane.

FP01_InsideOldDoor_02588.jpg
FP01_NewDoorInstalling_02592.jpg
FP01_NewInsideDoor_02598.jpg
FP01_NewOutsideDoor_02596.jpg

Nice door.. They give them away now days don't they.:rolleyes: Hey, I noticed you have my Christmas gift sitting by your rear tire in the third photo. Can hardly wait to see what it is.

Funny @choppedtop, if you like, you can come and take a look at it before I ship it to you !

That's the box that my 3D printer came in, I'm planning on making some custom TBucket parts.

upload_2020-12-18_17-55-38.png

Yes, I had to beg them not to pay ME to accept the door. Door was $1200 and the windows
were another $350.

Last edited:
I'll just wait and really be surprised. I have thought about getting one several times and haven't yet. A friend of mine has one maybe a little smaller than yours. He makes some pretty nice items with it. What amazed me was that it even threaded some of the holes it needed. Just wait a few years, no telling what new toys will show up. Like to see some of you projects when you start making things.

Like to see some of you projects when you start making things.
There are 1000's of objects that you can download and print for free. But if you want to
design and make something specific for your application, then you will have to learn a
3D CAD program. I did 3D animations reconstructing accidents of all kinds for attorneys
for 10 years, but it's been 15 years since the last project. At this time I'm working my way
thru some tutorials on FreeCAD, but it's going to be awhile before I'm productive with
this 3D program.

FreeCAD: Your own 3D parametric modeler

The biggest website for free objects is Thingiverse. There is a tremendous amount of sharing
in the 3D printing community.

Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

When I get far enough along I will be sharing my experience for anyone that is interested.

Thanks, I will check them out. The programs was one of the things that halted my purchase of a machine. I have several cad programs, but never took time to use them. I do have on really simple single plane program that I use for simple stuff. But not useful for 3D printing at all.

I am envious. I have become very outdated in regard to computers. They have become a aggravation to me. I was quite proficient but do not spend much time on them now, since I stopped working. I hate to relearn how to do the same old things... seems so unnecessary. I need to upgrade our home network. My wife is very stubborn and resistant to relearning how to use them as well. We still use w2000 pro and xp and are completely content other than the internet and virus support. The office is on a private network without internet and we have personal computers for internet. We have used the same system for our business forever and hate to mess with it. Windows has become a pita, imho, Apple works well but I detest the invisible function access and I distrust any cloud or off site storage for business data. I did install a second router in the shop this year to have WiFi out there. We had a lightning strike here in October, which took out numerous electronic devices... internet, phone, printers, along with many other things were damaged and being the end of the year makes this the time to upgrade, at least business wise. Nice door upgrade! I paid $1200.00 or so for double sided, insulated, 16x7 installed twenty years ago, so you did okay. A quality garage door investment is money well spent.

Your post above could have been written, word for word, by me, but I have gone to win 10 when it first came out.. Cept, the last bit about the door, that is.....
Gerry

I was finally forced to go to win10, but many of my programs will not work with it. I bought a little do-hicky that will let me switch back and forth from 10 to xp using one monitor, key board and mouse. Works good for me. Also made win.01 look and feel more like xp.

I was finally forced to go to win10, but many of my programs will not work with it. I bought a little do-hicky that will let me switch back and forth from 10 to xp using one monitor, key board and mouse. Works good for me. Also made win.01 look and feel more like xp.
W10 is very cumbersome to me. It basically demands payment for programs I already bought, constant pop ups, etc. I have a friend who works in IT and he said that it can be made user friendly but it’s not great out of the box. I just hate sitting and loading and waiting for hours while setting up new computers to accomplish stuff that I could already do. I’m a outside dog, lol! Ps, I hate that they redesigned the drop down menus... why?

Linux - and all the programs are FREE. Occasionally I have to look at Win 10 for family or friends, I just can't tell you how much better Linux Mint is than Windows. Linux Mint is almost a twin of XP except without the need for any sort of firewall or other protection from viruses. Remember - free, free, free.

Didn't have to pay for anything I had on my PC. Kept the original CDs and loaded from there. Still using Outlook 2010.
Getting harder and harder to ignore the cloud. Its a great way for ll these companies to own your output and digital communication's without you ever owning the software.

The future is that we will own nothing and rent or lease or subscribe to all we need to live. Its coming dude its coming faster than we think.

I am envious. I have become very outdated in regard to computers. They have become a aggravation to me. I was quite proficient but do not spend much time on them now, since I stopped working. I hate to relearn how to do the same old things... seems so unnecessary. I need to upgrade our home network. My wife is very stubborn and resistant to relearning how to use them as well. We still use w2000 pro and xp and are completely content other than the internet and virus support. The office is on a private network without internet and we have personal computers for internet. We have used the same system for our business forever and hate to mess with it. Windows has become a pita, imho, Apple works well but I detest the invisible function access and I distrust any cloud or off site storage for business data. I did install a second router in the shop this year to have WiFi out there. We had a lightning strike here in October, which took out numerous electronic devices... internet, phone, printers, along with many other things were damaged and being the end of the year makes this the time to upgrade, at least business wise. Nice door upgrade! I paid $1200.00 or so for double sided, insulated, 16x7 installed twenty years ago, so you did okay. A quality garage door investment is money well spent.

I remember the first time someone explained the "Cloud" to me.

I thought, uh......., that's Skynet.

Terminator1984movieposter.jpg

I'm using SurfShark VPN, so all my internet connections are encrypted, even my iPad and
iPhone are on SurfShark. If you buy a two year subscription it's only $2.21 per month.

I also use O&O Shutup10 - O&O ShutUp10 -Free antispy tool for Windows 10

O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish
to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you
decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be
deactivated.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately
on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many
other programs do these days!

There is nothing to save, that is done when you close the program.

upload_2020-12-19_12-39-27.png

I'm using SurfShark VPN, so all my internet connections are encrypted, even my iPad and
iPhone are on SurfShark. If you buy a two year subscription it's only $2.21 per month.

I also use O&O Shutup10 - O&O ShutUp10 -Free antispy tool for Windows 10

O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish
to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you
decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be
deactivated.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately
on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many
other programs do these days!

There is nothing to save, that is done when you close the program.

View attachment 20115
Awesome tip. Thanks!

Awesome tip. Thanks!
You're welcome !

Sure makes it's easier when all the settings are in one place and it gives you some guidance with
those settings.

The VPN really helps with your security. If you believe that Big Brother is watching, then a VPN
will be most helpful. Most VPN companies have servers all over the world, so you can appear as if
that's your location to anyone that sees your IP address. I usually look like I'm in Dallas. Plus ALL
your data is encrypted. The only downside is places like your bank will not recognize your computer
since it appears to be located in a different city than before. But you only have to login once from
the city the VPN server is located by answering a question about your mother's maiden name or
something similar. Next time it will be just like before the VPN. If you work from home for a
corporation, then you are already using their VPN to do your work.

Surfshark: Secure Your Digital Life
Virtual private network - Wikipedia
The Best VPN Services for 2020

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back