Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Should have been my first post

PrimoRod

Banned
Hi from Corvalis, Oregon.

Name is Craig and the proper first post should have been here so sorry about that. I do not own a T but share the idea of big engine light car with this group. I drive a Cobra replica and of course belong to a couple of Cobra forums. I had always thought our numbers would be higher than a T forum because I had thought there were more people driving Cobra replicas than Ts till I saw the amount of members here. 2381 members has us beat by a country mile. Upon closer inspection I discovered I was correct because of the 2381 members here 53.8% has never posted. That number was hard to understand but upon further playing with the numbers found out <1% have made 50 or more posts. Can anyone explain this? I have seen some nice builds documented here and also saw some good talent in some of the tech articles but sure don't understand the inflated statistics. Is this for ad income????

Hello Corvalis, Bend Oregon here. The posting issue maybe because people don't have a computer in the garage. Just kidding of course. One thing is folks just surfing the web.

One thing we see here quite often is "I've been lurking and reading the posts here and they have helped me get my T as far as I've gotten."

This site is a gold mine for anyone building their first T or their 20th one. It's meant to be an information center and I'm proud to say I believe it is fullfilling it's purpose.

Ron

I m sure that people who want to get in to a forum, do just that. I cant remember looking at the numbers before I intro'd myself and got a warm welcome.
3 post in I knew this was the place for me.
How about you?
Gerry

I m sure that people who want to get in to a forum, do just that. I cant remember looking at the numbers before I intro'd myself and got a warm welcome.
3 post in I knew this was the place for me.
How about you?
Gerry

I am impressed with the replies already. I don't have a T and more than likely never will but we do share the common thread of big engine - little car. In good weather I love bombing around in my Cobra rep. The guys here probably save the driving of the buckets for good weather too. I have an old friend that went the T route about 3 years ago even though I was hounding him the whole time to join me with doing the Cobra thing. He is now pushing the envelope on his T to try and get it to do the same as our Cobras. I am watching and smiling the entire time cause I don't think it can be done. Is there anyone here that has built a T that will corner hard? I'm sure all here can do some impressive staight line rips.

Well you have to look at it this way... Think sprint car, do you think they will out corner a Cobra??? Many T Buckets are build almost with the very same chassis setup... If the side movement is kept in tow, and the balance is also set right, they will out corner any IRS-IFS car, I always tell folks to try and follow a wild young fellow driving a straight axle pickup truck through the hills with many steep corners... Straight axle cars are in all reality, is how the IFS (racing) chassis is setup, with only about 1/2" suspension travel, this now works much the same as a straight axle... You agree? :)

Well you have to look at it this way... Think sprint car, do you think they will out corner a Cobra??? Many T Buckets are build almost with the very same chassis setup... If the side movement is kept in tow, and the balance is also set right, they will out corner any IRS-IFS car, I always tell folks to try and follow a wild young fellow driving a straight axle pickup truck through the hills with many steep corners... Straight axle cars are in all reality, is how the IFS (racing) chassis is setup, with only about 1/2" suspension travel, this now works much the same as a straight axle... You agree? :)

You, Ted Brown is what got me to post here in introductions. I only signed up for a friend that wanted me to close out a build posting of his because members gave him some good tips. Then I started lurking around and viewed the technical content. I have to say you must have 15 years on me, because how you do things were how the truly knowledgable gearheads did things in 1960. Your posts are like a walk down memory lane. I'm 60 but you don't have to disclose. Now on to the modern stuff ----- do you know of any T-buckets that corner at 1.0 G ?

Here is an interesting article with a T on a skid pad. If it was better prepped it would surely do much better.

Could you post the actual page instead of the website's home page. It would save me a lot of time looking for it. Turns out the web site was small and checked all pages. Nothing about a T on the skid pad.

I am impressed with the replies already. I don't have a T and more than likely never will but we do share the common thread of big engine - little car. In good weather I love bombing around in my Cobra rep. The guys here probably save the driving of the buckets for good weather too. I have an old friend that went the T route about 3 years ago even though I was hounding him the whole time to join me with doing the Cobra thing. He is now pushing the envelope on his T to try and get it to do the same as our Cobras. I am watching and smiling the entire time cause I don't think it can be done. Is there anyone here that has built a T that will corner hard? I'm sure all here can do some impressive staight line rips.

Well at least your honest.
If I wanted a car that corners (and Ive had a few) I would not build a Bucket. Two different things for 2 different dreams. Like comparing a Mc Ds to a fillet in Tony Romeros (not sure Ive got that right but you get my drift.)
Gerry

PS At least we are good natured!

I've thought about building a Cobra replica a few times over the years, but they all look about the same to me. very little room for individuallity in the build.

Russ

Well at least your honest.
If I wanted a car that corners (and Ive had a few) I would not build a Bucket. Two different things for 2 different dreams. Like comparing a Mc Ds to a fillet in Tony Romeros (not sure Ive got that right but you get my drift.)
Gerry

PS At least we are good natured!

I notice you are from the land of Lotus, TVR, Jaq, AC, and Ariel. I surrender because you do know about evil good cornering.

NEVER been in any car that corners like a Lotus... bar none.
Dont care what the motoring press says, or anyone else. They grip like a clam shell, and then more.
If you loose a Lotus you should nt be behind the wheel of any thing car like.
Ariel? Had 2 wheels as far as I can remember and a square engine. eg square 4
G

I've thought about building a Cobra replica a few times over the years, but they all look about the same to me. very little room for individuallity in the build.

Russ

They are suppose to look the same skin deep. It is engine-transmission-suspension-brakes that can be totally different and what makes it a competive track car that can be licensed and driven on the streets.

NEVER been in any car that corners like a Lotus... bar none.
Dont care what the motoring press says, or anyone else. They grip like a clam shell, and then more.
If you loose a Lotus you should nt be behind the wheel of any thing car like.
Ariel? Had 2 wheels as far as I can remember and a square engine. eg square 4
G

IMHO the Ariel Atom corners better than anything I've driven. Ran with one in Cali at Laguna Seca. He must of messed up in the qualies because I had a forward start position over him but when he passed me I tried to hang with him but he was too fast on all points of the track. I would have gone home in a body bag if I tried to keep up. My Cobra is set up for track use and I generally win a in class event.

When I was a young man and trying to decide which to build, a T Bucket (my first love) or a Cobra... Well the T Bucket won out, all because it was the cheaper of the two to build... The complete body for the Cobra was way out of my price range, and the T Bucket body complete with windshield cost was $75 body $45 frame and glass and posts... Now Days that has changed a bunch... But if I would have built a Cobra, it would have had straight axles at both ends, same as a Pikes Peak Sprint type chassis, great for on and off road and corners, not to forget great traction... Tough all around, because I am very hard on all my cars... :)

When I was a young man and trying to decide which to build, a T Bucket (my first love) or a Cobra... Well the T Bucket won out, all because it was the cheaper of the two to build... The complete body for the Cobra was way out of my price range, and the T Bucket body complete with windshield cost was $75 body $45 frame and glass and posts... Now Days that has changed a bunch... But if I would have built a Cobra, it would have had straight axles at both ends, same as a Pikes Peak Sprint type chassis, great for on and off road and corners, not to forget great traction... Tough all around, because I am very hard on all my cars... :)

I'm sorry Ted I completly messed up on what I thought your age was. If as a young man there was even a choice between a T or Cobra rep then I'm the old guy. When I was young there was no Cobra replicas because the original Cobra was still being produced for about twice the price of a Corvette or around $7000.00. It is just after reading your tech postings I see you do things the same way the Big Names did them in the early 1960s.

I'm sorry Ted I completly messed up on what I thought your age was. If as a young man there was even a choice between a T or Cobra rep then I'm the old guy. When I was young there was no Cobra replicas because the original Cobra was still being produced for about twice the price of a Corvette or around $7000.00. It is just after reading your tech postings I see you do things the same way the Big Names did them in the early 1960s.

Ted was a Big Name in the early 60's. :rolleyes:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back