Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Small Battery Recommendations

Jim B

I know the Odyssey battery line is popular for T's but which one is recommended? What other brands offer something that you guys have used and could recommend? I am looking for a smaller than standard size if possible.

Odyssey 680 is the best I have used small and can lay it any direction. I have been using one for 6 years with no problem.......Buy it for less than 120 bucks delivered from ePay..........ebay......

Odyssey 680 is the best I have used small and can lay it any direction. I have been using one for 6 years with no problem.......Buy it for less than 120 bucks delivered from ePay..........ebay......

That one does seem to be the best one in a small size, it's very popular for many power sports applications.

If you want small....

Anti grav.JPG

This topic is very interesting to me as this has been a problem since I have owned my bucket.

Tim Lyon designed my body with a slot for an 18L AGM size battery. Within 18 months of purchasing the car, I had to replace the battery. Now, 18 months later, the battery needs to be replace, again. When I put the battery tender charger on, it only holds at slightly under 12.6 volts (Interstate said that 12.6 volts is the threshold for calling a battery Discharged.). The current battery is an ETX18L by Maxx Power (actually a Deka battery with 340 CCAs).

In discussing the small frame batteries with Tim, he indicated that he now uses a full size battery in his new buckets. I am traveling today, but when I get home, I will have to see if I can expand the fiberglass slot to accommodate a full size battery. If not, I will be paying close attention to this thread.

Mike - What is the CCA on your Odyessy 680?

280 cca at 32f. I have cranked for a long time on mine when I was trying to fix a problem and it just kept on working. Mine has sat unused for several weeks and started right up. They work is all I can say.

One of the advantages that comes with the thinner form factor of the 680, is the ability to lay it flat under a seat. and if you really need cranking amps to keep starting the engine every few weeks in cold winter weather. you can use 2 in parallel and still stay within that ~3" height.

About the time I was looking for a battery my daughter was scrapping out a Dodge Intrepid. The battery in that was a few years old then the car sat for a couple of years but I have it in my car now. It's been in there about 5 years now and sits in it all winter and starts the car every spring with no problems. The best thing is when it goes to crap I can get a new one anywhere.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back