Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Something different engine wise

I'm starting to plan my build and wanted to use something different than a small block and automatic transmission.

Thinking of an RX7 turbo rotary and a 5 speed. Any thoughts?

Welcome from St Louis, Todd. That rotary powerplant would certainly be different! Since most T-buckets feature exposed engines with dress up stuff, how would you showcase the Mazda engine?

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how I'd set it up, I remember seeing a picture of one in an old pamphlet. I was hoping someone did it before.

I'm starting to plan my build and wanted to use something different than a small block and automatic transmission.

If I was inclined towards the "something different", I'd think about the usual options like a Viper V10, or Ford truck V10, and probably go with a Jag V12 for its nostalgia and great visuals.

If I wanted to generate the maximum WTF effect ,I'd look at an older Eldorado/Toronado FWD assembly and stick it in back under an extended box/bed

I think it’s a killer idea! I love those Mazda rotary engines... seemingly infinite redline. Three pedals are doable, mine has a manual shift. Should be simple to install, shouldn’t be any problems related to space.

Owner fought with this one for 2 years trying get it to run right in his T. Eventually sold it on. Be good to see a rotary, they are screamers.

v12 jag t.JPG

I will say it again. Just because you can does't mean you should. To each his own, but all that will depend on talent and money available as well as resell value if you change your mind later. Any thing is possible. JMHO

I will say it again. Just because you can does't mean you should. To each his own, but all that will depend on talent and money available as well as resell value if you change your mind later. Any thing is possible. JMHO
He's right, think resale value. White elephant is hard to sell. Small block Ford or Chevy are everywhere, there is a reason.

An odd engine swap is cool. But I'm inclined to use something that will be easy to get parts for. A SBC or SBF may seem plain, but if you're broke down in a one horse town, you'll be able to get parts for them quite easily.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back