Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

spring re-archer

I found this on another site a few years ago and thought you all might find this handy.
I made mine out of .125 thick tubing but it might be better out of 3/16th, just in case you want to bend thick springs. I used 3"x3" for the base and 2"x3" for the legs. it is pretty simple to make. I measured the width of the jack and added a couple more inches on each side. Simple draw the ark of the spring on something, put the spring in and jack it up. Just use the ark you drew as a guide to see how much to bend it. A warning, DO NOT+++ I REPEAT+++ DO NOT USE HEAT!!!. You will be surprised at how easily it bends. I used it to bend the spring in the pick to have a reversed eye on one end and a regular one on the other. I took it to a swap meet where I was selling some stuff, just to see what people would say. It was the hit of the place. It seemed like everybody who saw it wanted to buy it or see it work. you can put it in a vise or just by itself as it pushes against itself.
DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Good post Gary just happen to have some 2 1/2" square tubing in the shop. Thanks! Wonder if that would work for tubing too.

Ron

I used my Harbor freight pipe bender.Just the pins on top, I left off the pipe rollers.. I marked the spring with chalk at 1 inch spaces then worked the spring back and forth taking just a little at a time getting it flat first, then finishing the bend in several passes.... when you need to get a bend closer to the eye with the harbor freight bender you can drill a couple of holes closer to the jack. I used the smaller die and no rollers on the top to bend a sligh curve in square tubing when I replaced the wood in the 29 nash roadster. I have been looking at some old farm machinery behind the silo and I am going to build a 3 wheel roller to radius bend stuff faster. I use the H F pipe bender to make hairpins out of 7/8 DOM , you just have to cut the pieces longer to get the bend in the right place..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back