Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Stainless steel headers

ford4ever

Good morning all!
Is anyone running stainles steel headers on their rides? if so, where did you get them? and do you have any pics of them on your bucket.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Most SS Headers are prohibitively expensive, I order my own tubing and flanges, and build them myself. But I LOVE Lake Pipes.
I run SS pipes, because I like to wrap my pipes, I like the way it looks, keeps me from burning my arms and legs when I tune. Regular tube headers will burn out fast if wrapped, wether lake style or roadster style, doesn't matter. Sooooo, I make mine own, I have my own equip. to do it with, I enjoy TIG'ing SS.
No Pics, my last creations just left on a Poked&Stroked 460 this morning, heading to Ca.

Do a Google Search, there are SS headers out there....

Run stainless block huggers on the 32. Bought off Ebay years ago cheap. I like them ok they have thick flanges not leaks. The do blue like chrome headers so if you do not want bluing then stick with coated. Bluing does not bother me rust does.

I really like my Shot Gun Headers from Speedway. They make a hell of a racket.. Just like I want. They will turn Champagne color after a couple of heat cycles. I you use 4.0 steelwool and Purple Polish they look brand new, but turn after a heat cycle or two. I made a heat shield. See RH side picture. believe it or not you can put your hand on when you stop and it's only warm.

Attachments

• 5-15-14 LH Engine.jpg
    5-15-14 LH Engine.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 05-15-14 RH View.jpg
    05-15-14 RH View.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 120
Running the Shot Guns also. Clean up fairly easy. Your right about the racket. I wrapped the baffles with fiberglass mat to tone them down a bit.

Running the Shot Guns also. Clean up fairly easy. Your right about the racket. I wrapped the baffles with fiberglass mat to tone them down a bit.

How long are the baffles you are using?

Right now my plan is to run shot guns on my little V6. My thought is to use 8" motorcycle baffles, and doing the glass wrap. Around here you have to be very careful with the noise ordinances...they nail folks regularly.

I think the baffles are 12". On my roadster with dual megaphones, I am only running 6" with no wrap on them. The law around here don't seem to bother with loud pipes, as long as you don't try to impress them with how loud they can be.
Lee

I talked to a fellow from Stainless works last year at a Goodguys show in Oh. They did not have anything in stock but they can make custom headers no problem. The price is higher than mild steel but I didn't think it was too crazy, somewhere around $1500 IIRC including sidepipes.

http://stainlessworks.net/

I found the headers at Stainless Works, but since my engine sits real low in the
chassis the 17 inch drop would not work for me. Mine only drop 14 inches, another
3 inches is too much. But maybe someone else on the forum can use them. They
cost $990 and $470 to polish them for a total of $ 1460, which is not bad for SS.

Small Block Chevy Sprint Car
Turn Down Exhaust Tips
Turn Down Mufflers
Rat Trap Mufflers

Height01.jpg

RearExtension01.jpg

SideView01.jpg

Another possibility is Schoenfeld, although not SS, they are something different.
Primary tube length looks to be short for real performance, but some people are
not worried about such things.

Chevy Street Rod Headers - Schoenfeld Headers

StreetRodHeaders01.gif

I got this set from Speedway. has two cylinders into one collector. Look good, sound mean. Will polish up like new with Purple Polish, but return to a slight golden hue after a couple of heat cycles.5-15-14 LH engine  Full.jpg

Running same as Swampdog. Mine turn goldish color from heads to almost the curve down. Easy to polish back out. Fuel mixture determines the color dis-coloration.
Lee

Has anyone bought any of the s/s headers off of ebay? They seemed really cheap like $225 range? something on there made me Question if this was each. any feedback appreciated

1 guy on ntba facebook site bought a set , said they appeared well made , he hasn't fired the car yet. I've been looking at them , they don't offer a collecter/muffler/extension. One saye 3.375 od collecter , one 3.4". I don't know if the 3.5" speedway extensions would work. If you had to have something custom made , that could get expensive. From what I've been able to gather ,they turn straw yellow w/heat , but can be buffed out. Hell of a deal if you can find an extension/muffler to fit. They are 16 ga. , tig welded & a 3/8" flange.
dave

1 guy on ntba facebook site bought a set , said they appeared well made , he hasn't fired the car yet. I've been looking at them , they don't offer a collecter/muffler/extension. One saye 3.375 od collecter , one 3.4". I don't know if the 3.5" speedway extensions would work. If you had to have something custom made , that could get expensive. From what I've been able to gather ,they turn straw yellow w/heat , but can be buffed out. Hell of a deal if you can find an extension/muffler to fit. They are 16 ga. , tig welded & a 3/8" flange.
dave
Yeah i noticed they didnt sell extensions.I could fabricate them myself or just go with the ceramic coated. any other opinions out there?
Thanks 2old2fast

I swapped out the fiberglass wrap that I had put on my baffles on the Shotguns for stainless steel, steel wool. Made a huge difference at road speed. Still sounds about the same when idling around the parking lots.
I wish somebody made some different looking outside exhaust systems for the open fender less cars. I get so tired of all the same exhausts on most the the buckets and other fender less hot rods. Not knocking any ones exhaust, there just are not many choices.
Lee

I get so tired of all the same exhausts on most the the buckets and other fender less hot rods.
Have you checked out Schoenfeld headers?

I believe they will extend the headers out away from the engine to any
length you like. These are the one I'm looking at. Probably do away
with the adjustability and just weld them solid thou.

Chevy Sprint/Dyno Headers

TBucketHeaders.JPG

Then there are also these that look different and are already fit a TBucket.

Chevy Street Rod Headers

TBucketHeaders01.JPG

Now if you want something REALLY DIFFERENT, then go with these ......

Headers_Wild&Crazy.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see the expression on a chrome platers face if I brought those last pipes in for plating, not to mention the look on mine when he told me how much.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back