Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starter question

Johnny

Are any of you guys using a hi-torque mini starter or just using a regular starter? I'm going to be using one of the small Odyssey batteries and I think I read somewhere that you need to crank and start pretty quickly or that battery starts losing cranking amps.

What do you all say?

Thanks

Just installed an Odessey battery this spring with a small high torque starter and have had no problems.

I use a stock Chevy H-torque starter, it has a short length 3/4" of copper tubing from the tab on the starter to the solenoid and uses a longer 10-32 screw for the connection, the standard starter does not have that long connection screw. If all is tuned correctly, and you use a relay, close to the solenoid with #10 wire, your engine should start fine. I have found that a key starter will not always get the job done...

Been reading up on mini-starters. Stay away from chinese crap, everyone said.

Can any of you fellas give me the name of a good american made mini hi-torque starter, and what kind of a price?

Thanks

I got a mini starter on eBay for $60. Much smaller and lighter than stock, and really spins the motor. Highly recommend the swap. And I wouldn't spend hundreds of bucks for some big name, either. Summit has them for about $100. Same is true of alternators; you can get a 100amp one from Summit for less than $100.

I use an Odessey 1200 series with a stock GM starter and just the key switch. It works perfectly..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back