Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Column through the floor.

Taller T

Planning my T and have a lot to learn, bare with me.

Always liked the steering column coming through the floor on old T hot rods. Please tell me what parts I need to make this happen.

From what I'm seeing everyone is going through the firewall these days, I get that it's better for foot room, but I still like the old way. I'm not building for daily transportation, only for what is interesting and cool to me, looks first, practicality second.

[QUOTE="Taller T, post: 217971, member: 9358"

From what I'm seeing everyone is going through the firewall these days, I get that it's better for foot room, but I still like the old way. I'm not building for daily transportation, only for what is interesting and cool to me, looks first, practicality second.[/QUOTE]

SAFETY FIRST!!!! Dependability second practicality/comfort third looks last is what I go by.

A piece of rectangle 1/8 steel about 4X8 and a piece of round tubing about 3" that the coloum will fit in and a band clamp to hold the two together at your desired angle for comfort and mount to the floor with large washers underneath or a bracket welded to the frame if the body rest flat on the frame..You will also need a coloum brace to the dash so it will not bend/move when getting in or out or using as a hand hold for other than driving.

If you know nothing about BUILDING a T-Bucket, then I suggest you look through these forums and read all you can BEFORE you start your build. It will save you lots of time and money and maybe answer some of your questions before you ask them.

If you know nothing about BUILDING a T-Bucket, then I suggest you look through these forums and read all you can BEFORE you start your build. It will save you lots of time and money and maybe answer some of your questions before you ask them.

I'm not new to fabrication or car building so lets get that straight right now. I did look around here and found nothing on the topic, no one I know of is selling parts like this in kit form, or identified as such, hence the question.

What steering box is used, column, linkage etc etc.

You seem annoyed that I asked this? Please do not reply if my questions anger you, better for both of us.

Only way to go. Gives you MORE foot space.... look closer at the threads on this forum theres plenty on this and R & P Steering.
Lots to think about including what happen should you have a front end. The column, if engineering correctly will fold away from you, unlike the angled ones normally seen that act like a harpoon.

As always JMHO

steering.JPG

I have a good friend who did his steering the way you want to do yours, he copied the setup from an old hot rod magazine, I think from the 70's. I don't know what issue it was but someone here will probably chime in with the info, or I can find out if need be.

Only way to go. Gives you MORE foot space.... look closer at the threads on this forum theres plenty on this and R & P Steering.
Lots to think about including what happen should you have a front end. The column, if engineering correctly will fold away from you, unlike the angled ones normally seen that act like a harpoon.

As always JMHO

I like the simplicity of that dash, very similar to what I've been thinking about with a all in one multi gauge.

Got any pics of mechanicals of your steering set up?

There might be plenty of info on just what I'm looking for buried in threads that you know about and I don't and could not find. Perhaps someone can put up a link or two if you know right where they are. Not looking to put anyone out, help only if you want to. I know things get repetitive, boring and frustrating for long time members. Few want to be part of the welcome wagon.

Thanks for the reply!

Few want to be part of the welcome wagon.

Well . . . consider me one of the few. WELCOME! I don't think Bruce meant any harm, just being cautious, and now we understand that this isn't your first rodeo. I saw a thru-the-floor setup recently, I think on FaceBook, but I can't seem to find it. If my memory is valid, I seem to recall that Ford truck steering will work, or even a VW van steering box, but those (VW)are scarce and pricey.

I seem to recall that Ford truck steering will work, or even a VW van steering box, but those (VW)are scarce and pricey.

hmmm, the fact that I had no luck in finding photos of these setups in image searches is making sense now. Old and forgotten T bucket tech! At this point it looks as though there are no aftermarket new parts dedicated for through the floor steering. If that's the case, I really do need see something that's installed, works well and not made out of unobtanium to pull this off.

Found this on the H.A.M.B.

Here is a T bucket I did in the 70s using a 60s VW bus steering box. It bolted to the inside frame rail. I added a reproduction mohagany T Steering wheel. I had to modify the pittman arm slightly by lengthening it and shorten the steering column.

T steering.JPG

Just noticed your avatar! That’s cool! My first bucket (my avatar) had a vertical column. I used an Econoline van sector with a tilt wheel. I could tilt it back for comfort on the road and put it vertical to come whoopin’ it in to the parking lot! When I built it (‘72) I had never seem a bucket. I find the Street Rod 101 tapes very informative and entertaining and highly recommend them.

That’s just how mine is. It’s at about a 10° Angle. The steering box is under the floor just back from the pedals. It uses a 1966 Chevy Impala manual steering box and a modified pitman arm. That way it does take up valuable foot space, not while driving, just getting in and out.

I think I put this picture up a few days ago but here goes again... VW boxes were the way to go, and used on a lot of Comp Altered and FE Dragsters, back in the day. Very difficult to find now.

Try looking at the little 'rascal' micro van for a small usable rack and pinion unit or maybe break the mould and utilise a modern electronic steering one...

imagination is the only limit. The way I did mine retains the 'old' drag link look but with feather light and precise steering

,Hand brake lever and column 2 final (10) [640x480] [640x480].JPG

Last edited:
I took one out of mine. No clue what the parts came from, pretty sure the column and steering wheel are original parts, the steering box is a mystery, and the shaft, brackets, etc were custom. It was set up with a drag link. I would part ways with the steering box, steering wheel, column, and whatever else I have left for a reasonable price. You would have to fabricate brackets, etc to match whatever frame you end up using. From my experience, there really is not a kit or prescribed single method to building any part of these cars... there are numerous combinations. There are car kits, if you buy everything from one vendor, but everyone does things different, so it’s not as simple as it seems on the surface. I hated the vertical column for several reasons, one was drivability... there wasn’t much room to drive it between the three pedals, floor shift, etc, (4 speed manual), I didn’t like sitting straight up or as high, then it was right in the way of adding a door. Each has their opinions and taste, I chose to use a telescoping, tilt column mounted at an angle. Also, mine is a GM column that is built to collapse upon impact and I retained that feature when I shortened it. Personally, I think the column injuring you is less of a concern, but very real. If you crash with enough force to worry about it, there are other major safety worries... again, my opinion. RPM or the other vendors would be able to help you with steering brackets, boxes, etc for sure, but Ron is known to help with one off stuff. As for the suggestion of looking at the various build threads, I think it is a good one. Not meant as an insult, at least not from my perspective, there are just so many possible variations, it is a good point of reference to figure out what your tastes is. I personally like to go look at other builds in person to get a better feel for things.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers a bit, but I did not see you on the intro pages. Welcome and am glad to help in any way as well as others here. Most info on building a T-Bucket is already on the web site as all here contribute at some point in time.

As you know, everyone is not a mechanic or a welder or an engineer and my suggestion was for you to try and find the info yourself as I do not judge you or question your abilities. Most buckets are built traditionally and all that aren't were built by the owners or they had them built. Just ask Spanky and Gerry.

It takes a LOT to build a car from the ground up as you will deal with welding, electrical, alignment, glass work, real and fiberglass and money. Determination and perseverance is what will make you finish the car. Some have worked on them for 15 plus years and/ or like me in 30 days. That's build time, not parts collecting which was done in a few years.

Best advice I can give right now is for you to have a plan and write down the parts and such you will need and the first thing is to have the frame-body-front end and the rear end with what ever suspension you desire with the engine and tranny being used for your frame.

Call - RPM - Spirit - CCR - Speedway If they can't help you then you will have to fabricate your own. I would also say that you can buy the parts cheaper than you can buy the materials and weld or fabricate them But then you would not be getting the satisfaction of building it yourself.

Hi Taller T,
It’s been quite a while ago but a member on this site used a VW bus box thru the floor on his build. I believe his name was Tbucit. I did a search but couldn’t find it on here now. His column was not vertical but you could easily change the mounting angle to anything you wanted. You can buy new VW bus boxes on Ebay if you choose to go that route. Here are a few of the pictures I downloaded from his build.1.jpg 2.jpg

I haven’t started my build yet, but I bought the Unisteer rack for my car. I will be throwing away their mount and making a bracket to make the steering close to vertical. I will also be making a deep dish steering wheel similar to what Dan Woods used to sell back in the early 70’s.
Bill

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 8-10 inch dia.jpg
    8-10 inch dia.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 61
The only thing I would say is, the difference between a steering box feel and a RnP feel is chalk and cheese in favour of the RnP.

I bought the Unisteer rack for my car. I will be throwing away their mount and making a bracket to make the steering close to vertical. I will also be making a deep dish steering wheel similar to what Dan Woods used to sell back in the early 70’s.

That unisteer looks promising for such a build. Not the slam dunk installation I thought it would be. With the helpful advice I'm given here, at least I'm on the right track now. Been looking at VW bus stuff, old Econoline columns, F1 boxes, this is not exactly a cheap way to go if you want rebuilt or new parts. Used is another matter but we know how dicey that can be, good chance it's too worn out to use. I'm not married to the idea of being perfect vertical, got see how it feels. One thing I've wised up to is where the column comes up through the floor, you don't want it way over to the side, that would be awkward. A regular style steering box mounted to the frame rail probably won't work. The steering wheel itself is a very important element in the looks department as you know, It's gotta be right, I'm thinking original T with the adapter at this point.

Yes, it's not as easy as some say to find old threads here that answer specific questions on this type of installation. No problem at all finding info on through the firewall everywhere. Most T builders just use no brainer pre-planned ready to go frames, and why not, it's so easy. I'm cursed with never liking easy.

In the search box (top right of the page) put in 'steering' and then Gerry in the posted by member.

That will bring couple of threads up, but where the rest have gone I have no idea.

There used to be a way of finding all THREADS you ha posted but all I can find is one that brings up every post you have ever done and for me thats quite a few to look through.

If anyone know how to find just the THREADS you have started please let me know.

Try this link

Mounting of Vega Sterring Box
G

Last edited:
If anyone know how to find just the THREADS you have started please let me know.

Gerry - Click on your name in your avatar to bring up your profile page; click on "postings" then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "all threads by Gerry" :) It worked for me!

I will snap some pics of my leftover parts for a reference. If you look at my old build thread, in the photo section, there were pictures of the conversion but I am not sure what if anything survived the photo share site fiasco. Mine had a simple bracket welded to the bottom of the frame that the steering box bolted to. It worked fine. I initially modified that bracket and was going to simply relocate the box but opted to use a Vega box and one of RPMs mounts. Like many others, I bought a project and began changing it to suit me. I think building from scratch is simpler in many ways, but I liked many of the old school parts. A kit or buying everything from a single vendor would be the simplest method... I grew up building from bone yard stuff... some habits die hard.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back