Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering issues need help!

Wesley White

Hello all, I am very new to the Model T scene. I have a newly acquired 1927 model T (at least that's what the title says.) It appears to be a fabricated kit of sorts but the issue I have is the steering/ front end. while the bucket as a whole is not period correct it appears that the front axle is. The previous owner(s) installed a rack of sorts and all the welds look like crap. I would like to clean u the front end and get rid of the rack and go back to a more traditional steering gear box. What are my options. As I have googled it about 100 ways and the only thing I could find is a vega style steering box. but no images on linkage or geometry. Can someone please help? TIA.

How appropriate to follow the above post. Several people (including me) are updating to rack and pinion. You need 10 posts before you can post pictures. My suggestion would be figure out why your present system sucks before you abandon it.
I am using a product called Unisteer. It’s designed for cross steer to replace the Vega box. Keep watching you will find your answer. Welcome to the world of bucketheads!
1928-1940 Street Rods - Ford - Rack & Pinions - Search By Product

Old round fart thanks for the input. The front axle has the rack mounted to the axle not the frame. It also has every thing up front. If I were to relocate it to the the frame I would have to move everything to the rear of the axle and the steering linkage is ran down the frame rail. It kinda looks like someone just threw it together. They weren't very good at welding either. I wish I could post some pics so you could see what I'm talking abou . I'm really just looking for a reasonable priced bolt on kit and steering set up for the front end.

I put a rack mounted to the axle back in the day. It worked great just looked to busy in the front. Sounds like you need to change yours for the same reason. Ron Pope ( RPM) is a sponsor of this site and real good at steering new people with his products.
Quality welds is always a plus in these cars. With the power weight ratio you will have things happen real fast!

Again, really?

Mech727 thanks for the pic. Looks awesome. I believe that's what I'm gonna go with. I like the clean lines. Did you buy yours complete or piece it together? Thanks again.

Spanky might have a better one but here's a pic of mine in the mean time. It's per the drawing he showed previously.

Don't have a better picture. Besides, the 727 mechanic's car is prettier than mine. Only difference, my draglink is at an angle, more like the diagram from Speedway.

If you compare the drawing Spanky posted to my instalation and then visualize the arcs the pitman arm and drag link travel you can understand why I move the box forward when possible. Quicker off center steering, more travel w/less effort and more leverage for slow parking lot crawling. Not saying either way is right or wrong. I'm sure the guy who originally designed the Vega set up is smarter than me but have found no negatives as of yet to making the tie rod and drag link as parallel as possible. I can go lock to lock on my spindles in the same number of steering wheel turns and not get close to steering box end travels. ymmv

Jetmech thx for the info. I think I'm going to go with the vega setup. But im still looking closely at th f100 steering box setup. still weighing the pros and cons of both. Your setup looks sweet.

fetch
fetch

Just a couple pics of my current setup.

I am always interested in how guys will find different methods to accomplish the same task. Some are quite interesting, even ingenious. It seems that parts availability and the builders background influences the final product. In your situation, deciding on the method that best suits you is your biggest hurdle. There are many proven setups. Do your homework and price shop the components to determine what best suits you. Speedway has kits, RPM, Spirit, or CCR can set you up with anything you need also. There are various vendors that supply the components. If you need anything custom to connect part a to c, Ron at RPM has the answer, from my observation. If you take a accurate inventory of what you have to work with so you can determine what will work the best and try to utilize as much of your stuff if the budget is a determinating factor, as it is with most... if not, the sky is the limit as far as choices.

Once again.....

Its quite an easy exercise to achieve this. You dont need a vertical column, it can be installed with the more common angled one if you can just do a bit of thinking and adaptation.

Hand brake lever and column final (12) [640x480] [640x480].JPG

Once again.....

Its quite an easy exercise to achieve this. You dont need a vertical column, it can be installed with the more common angled one if you can just do a bit of thinking and adaptation.

View attachment 17709

Now Gerry, you know most on here are NOT mechanically inclined!! But pictures are worth a thousand words!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back