Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

SuperTrapp warning

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I thought I would get some SuperTrapp discs and make my own version. They come in 3", 4" and 5" sizes. I guessed they would fit in my 4" Sanderson collector. But the 4" discs are only 3-3/4" diameter, which would be OK except the collector is only 3-5/8" ID. Seems everything gets smaller as you age (insert joke here).

Are you sure about that 3-5/8" ID ? That's a 3/16" or .1875" wall thickness. Most headers
are made from 16 (.0625") or 18 gauge material.

It's even worse. I braved the -2F temp and measured again. I thought the Sanderson collector was 4" OD, but it's really only 3-1/2" (CER-100, confirmed on their website). 16ga, about 1/16", so the ID is only 3-3/8". Won't be able to do SuperTrapp with these pipes. But my new pipes (next Spring) will have a true 4" collector.

Yeah, the V-band clamps and flanges in SS are the deal. My plan is to take the car to GP and they will build the SS pipes on the car. I'll hover and kibitz. I want to experiment with the SuperTrapp discs. See if they really make a difference in sound or performance. And they look cool in any case. I have the end caps already. Put them on the wall to keep me going. I mean I'm $50 in already, I can't stop now, right?
sup-402-3046_ml.jpg

Had super trapps on the 32 since built 14 years ago. I like the simplicity and the fact you can tune the sound. We thought we would be changing the sound all the time but alas we set it where we like it and left it.

Had Supertrapp on a Honda street/dirt bike looonnng time ago, add too many disc, the torque/bottom end would suffer, not enough just about the whole power band suffers.
If I remember right, there is a inner disc ( a permanent part of the "can") that the disc's and cover bolt to?

After responding to this thread I looked SuperTrapp is definitely proud of these mufflers. I think we paid about $100 each and I thought that was too high. "You know how to tell when you are getting old? Everything is priced high."

Can you get bigger disc diameter and mount threaded spacers on the OUTSIDE of the collector so the discs can bolt to the outside and not impede the air flow?

Can you get bigger disc diameter and mount threaded spacers on the OUTSIDE of the collector so the discs can bolt to the outside and not impede the air flow?
They do have 5" discs. Of course impeding the air flow is mainly what the discs are designed to do...my design is somewhat different from the typical SuperTrapp muffler. I plan to use a straight 4" collector with the discs at the end and open to the atmosphere, something like this:
supertrapp.jpeg

Last edited:
If you go to the suppertrapp web site and look at the picture of the end of the muffler without the discs, you'll notice that there is a 3/8" to 1/2" ring where there is threaded holes where the discs get threaded into. That ring will turn your 4" collector to a ~ 3" collector. Potvin, you have a blower so you just want to the expel the exhaust out unlike a regular aspirated engine that needs to be tuned to the exhaust or vise versa.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back