Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tapping threads in thin wall tubing

ram rod2

Tapping threads in to thin wall tubing or installing a threaded bung can be a pain. Here's a little trick that I have used. First clean the area were you want the threaded hole. Mark hole location with center punch. Then depending on the size hole you want,take a drift one size bigger than hole and dimple the tube at the center punch location. About 1/16" deep. Weld up the dimple and sand flush.(don"t sand below flush) Remark hole location,drill and tap hole. This will give you more meat to get a better thread count. I have used this process on 5/16" and less holes. You can also use this process for repairing striped threads when resizing is not a option. I suggest that you practice on a some scrap tubing to get welding heat right.

I just use self threading bolt/screw from Fastenal. Same as Total Performance did. Never had any problems coming loose or re tightening.

Don't over look the rib nut or riv nut insert. The tools and inserts are more common and cheaper. Most nut and bolt suppliers carry the tool and inserts.

Don't over look the rib nut or riv nut insert. The tools and inserts are more common and cheaper. Most nut and bolt suppliers carry the tool and inserts.

I use them quite a bit in metal and glass. SAE and metric threads with varying grip ranges.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

I like them, but sometimes the top flange prevents a flush fit. Normally not an issue. They are stronger than self tapping screws, imho. They used to be cost inhibitive and the smooth wall type would spin sometimes, usually at a later date when trying to disassemble. The new ones are better.

Rivet studs are useful too.

rivet stud 2.gif

I will always weld a plug in thin wall that goes right through and is welded at the other end as well. Well maybe not for a clip or something similar. Just me being over cautious....

I put a drop of locktite on the outside of rivnut, in hopes it will stay tight forever.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back